Over 100 human skeletons recovered from field in Uttar PradeshSeptember 23rd, 2009 - 9:22 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Sep 23 (IANS) Over 100 human skeletons have been recovered in the span of one week from a field in a village in Uttar Pradesh’s Lakhimpur Kheri district, officials said Wednesday.
The incident came to light Sep 18 when Vishram, a resident of Badhra village, started levelling a piece of land that was allocated to him by the government for farming purpose.
“I started levelling the field, that is approximately one acre, Sep 18 and was shocked when I found two skeletons. I immediately informed the local police and after receiving no response, I began the work again. However, skeletons kept surfacing whereever we tried to dig the field,” Vishram told IANS over phone.
Sensing something foul, the district police deputed two constables at the site and informed the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) Tuesday.
“A team of the ASI has taken charge of the site. We will be providing all kind of support required,” a police officer told IANS.
According to ASI officials, over 100 skeletons have been recovered so far.
“It (the site) appears to be very old. It could well be of historical importance and we can comment only after carbon dating the skeletons and other recoveries,” an ASI official told IANS, speaking on condition of anonymity.
- Fire spreads through 20 villages, six killed - Apr 18, 2011
- Rivers near danger mark in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 16, 2012
- Two lawyers killed in Uttar Pradesh clash - Sep 03, 2011
- Two more rapes, an attempted rape in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 22, 2011
- Three killed, 40 hutments gutted in fire - Apr 23, 2011
- Girl, set ablaze by spurned suitor, dies - Feb 18, 2011
- Three brothers sentenced to life for murder - Mar 30, 2011
- Rains to slow, flooding rivers will recede - Jul 30, 2011
- Crocodile kills minor in Uttar Pradesh - Sep 16, 2011
- Court seeks action ASI report over mosque - Aug 24, 2012
- Delhi police gears for Anna's protest - Mar 24, 2012
- Rahul for CBI probe into girl's murder in police station (Second Lead) - Jun 30, 2011
- Uma Bharti to stage first sit-in as BJP leader Saturday - Jun 17, 2011
- Girl set ablaze in Uttar Pradesh for resisting advances - Feb 17, 2011
- Poacher nabbed in Uttar Pradesh, leopard carcass seized - Dec 28, 2010