Osteoporosis drug ‘doubles cancer risk’September 3rd, 2010 - 1:40 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sep 03 (ANI): A new study has shown that people who take oral bisphosphonates for bone disease over five years may be doubling their risk of developing oesophageal cancer (cancer of the gullet).
Oral bisphosphonates are a type of drug used to treat osteoporosis and other bone diseases and are the most commonly recommended treatment for such conditions.
Researchers from the University of Oxford’s Cancer Epidemiology Unit and the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency analysed data from the UK General Practice Research Database, which has anonymised patient records for around six million people registered with a NHS GP.
They focused on men and women aged over 40 years - 2,954 with oesophageal cancer, 2,018 with stomach cancer and 10,641 with colorectal (bowel) cancer diagnosed between 1995 and 2005. Each case was compared with five controls matched for age, sex, general practice and observation period.
They found that people with 10 or more prescriptions, or with prescriptions over about five years, had nearly double the risk of oesophageal cancer compared with people with no bisphosphonate prescriptions.
The study has been published on bmj.com. (ANI)
- Drugs to fight bone thinning double cancer risk - Sep 03, 2010
- Bone Strenghthening Drugs Increases Throat Cancer Risk, Study Reveals - Sep 07, 2010
- Postmenopausal women urged to increase yearly dental checkups - Mar 11, 2011
- Keep tab on osteoporosis pain-reliever: Experts (Oct 20 is World Osteoporosis Day) - Oct 19, 2011
- Heartburn pills could increase cancer risk: Study - Jul 24, 2012
- Common bone drugs may cut colon cancer risk - Feb 16, 2011
- An aspirin a day 'cuts cancer death rate by 50pc' - Dec 07, 2010
- Long-term use of osteoporosis drugs raises risk of fractures - Feb 23, 2011
- Osteoporosis treatment gives patients an extra 5 years of life - Feb 03, 2011
- Calcium supplements 'increase heart attack risk' - Jul 30, 2010
- Low-dose HRT skin patches 'safer than tablets' - Jun 04, 2010
- FDA approves personalized therapy for tough-to-treat colorectal cancer - Jul 26, 2012
- High vitamin D levels cut colon cancer risk - Jan 22, 2010
- Playing basketball, soccer staves off Osteoporosis - May 07, 2012
- Go vegetarian to ward off bowel disorder - Jul 20, 2011
Tags: age sex, bisphosphonates, bone disease, bone diseases, bowel cancer, cancer cancer, cancer epidemiology unit, cancer of the gullet, cancer risk, colorectal, healthcare products regulatory agency, medicines and healthcare products regulatory agency, observation period, osteoporosis, osteoporosis drug, patient records, prescriptions, research database, stomach cancer, university of oxford