Orissa sounds alert, army called out in flood-hit Assam districtJune 17th, 2008 - 3:03 pm ICT by ANI
Guwahati, June 17 (ANI): An alert was sounded in coastal Orissa as incessant rains due to deep depression over northwest Bay of Bengal, about 250 km from Balasore coast, claimed one life in Mayurbhanj district.
The Jalaka River is reportedly at a dangerous level. The depression has already made landfall on the Bangladeshi coast, but it is likely to continue raining over the next 24 hours.
Fishermen have been asked not to go out into sea
In Assam, army was called out to rescue marooned people in the flood-hit state, which claimed over ten lives.
The army deployed boats and rafts to transport people taking shelter on roof tops to relief camps set up in highlands, schools and colleges in worst-hit Lakhimpur district.
The official death count was four in the state.
Over seven lakh people in seven hundred villages of the district have been affected by the sudden floods that occurred due to breach of bunds of Ranganadi Hydel Project in Arunachal Pradesh.
Most parts of the Bihpuria and North Lakhimpur towns have been submerged. (ANI)
- Heavy rains in Arunachal cause floods in two Assam districts - Sep 14, 2012
- Orissa airdrops food as floods get worse - Sep 24, 2011
- Fresh floods hit 900 Orissa villages - Sep 23, 2011
- Floods hit Assam, over 15,000 affected - Jun 05, 2012
- 33 people rescued from flash floods in Kashmir - Sep 09, 2012
- Flood-hit Orissa gets two more choppers - Sep 26, 2011
- Floods affect over 30,000 in Assam - Jun 12, 2012
- Flash floods hit parts of Jammu region - Aug 04, 2012
- 40 missing in Uttarakhand, rescue efforts on - Aug 05, 2012
- 12 killed, 40 missing as rains pound Uttarakhand, Jammu (Lead) - Aug 05, 2012
- Rivers near danger mark in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 16, 2012
- Haryana calls in army even as floodwater recedes (Lead) - Sep 22, 2010
- Relief efforts intensified as Orissa floods worsen - Sep 25, 2011
- Laila hits Andhra coast, wrecks havoc (Second Lead) - May 20, 2010
- Three new river bridges collapse in Jharkhand rains - Jun 21, 2011
Tags: assam, balasore, bay of bengal, bunds, coastal orissa, dangerous level, death count, fishermen, flood, guwahati, hydel project, incessant rains, lakh, landfall, northwest bay, official death, rafts, relief camps, roof tops, sudden floods