Orissa sculptor creates 15-foot Buddha in Berlin (With Image)June 12th, 2009 - 4:45 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, June 12 (IANS) Orissa’s Sudarsan Patnaik has created a 15 feet high image of Buddha in sand as his entry in an international sand sculpture championship in Berlin, the artist said Friday.
The artist who belongs to Orissa’s Puri city, some 56 km from here created the image of the sitting Buddha for the 2nd United Sand Festival (USF) World Solo Sand Sculpture Championship 2009 held June 4-11 in the German capital.
“At least 12 artists from 12 different countries participated in this competition and I am hopeful this year too I will win the prize” Patnaik, who is the only artist from India in the event, told IANS from Berlin.
Patnaik last year won the world championship held in the same city for his sculpture on global warming. He was the first Indian to win that championship.
“The image that I created this time is drawing maximum crowds and I am hopeful of winning the top prize,” Patnaik, who has participated in more than 39 international sand sculpture festivals and competitions and won several prizes, said.
- Sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik wins Berlin contest (With Image) - Jul 13, 2009
- Orissa sculptor wins prize in Moscow - May 16, 2011
- Indian sand artist wins prize in Denmark (With Image) - Sep 05, 2012
- Sudarsan wins people's choice prize in Canada (With Images) - Sep 08, 2010
- Sudarsan Pattnaik's sand sculpture on global warming wins Berlin contest (With Image) - Aug 01, 2010
- Indian sand sculptor wins three medals in US - Sep 26, 2010
- Indian sand artist selected for Moscow championship - Apr 15, 2011
- Indian sand artist wins gold in Spain (With Image) - Jul 18, 2012
- Sand sculpture in Orissa for Obama - Nov 04, 2010
- Sand image on Orissa beach to congratulate Obama (With Images) - Oct 10, 2009
- Sand image on beach in Hazare's support - Aug 13, 2011
- 40-foot sand Ganesha spreads global warming message (With Image) - Aug 23, 2009
- Indian artist to create climate change sculpture in Japan - Jan 22, 2012
- Orissa artist creates over 100 sand images of Santa - Dec 24, 2009
- Sand artist creates image on earth quake - Sep 20, 2011
Tags: berlin, buddha, competitions, crowds, german capital, global warming, India, international sand, orissa, prizes, puri, sand festival, sand sculpture, sculptor, sculpture festivals, sudarsan, usf, world solo