One in four born to cheat partnersDecember 3rd, 2010 - 9:01 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 3 (IANS) One in every four can’t help but cheat on their partners as they are born with the roving eye.
Scientists suggest that when a man or woman with the ‘love rat gene’ has an affair, they receive the same adrenaline rush as a gambler whose luck has changed.
Researchers quizzed 180 young men and women about their attitude towards relationships and tested them for a gene called DRD4, which affects levels of the brain chemical dopamine, reports the journal PLoS ONE.
The one quarter or so with the ‘love rat’ version of the gene were more than twice as likely to be unfaithful. And when they did cheat, they had more one-night stands, according to the Daily Mail.
Researcher Justin Garcia of the State University of New York, US, said: “What we found was that individuals with a certain variant of the DRD4 gene were more likely to have a history of uncommitted sex, including one-night stands and acts of infidelity.”
“The motivation seems to stem from a system of pleasure and reward, which is where the release of dopamine comes in.”
“In cases of uncommitted sex, the risks are high, the rewards substantial and the motivation variable - all elements that ensure a dopamine ‘rush’,” said Garcia.
- Propensity to cheat on your partner may be in your genes - Dec 01, 2010
- Blame promiscuous behaviour on a 'cheating gene' - Dec 04, 2010
- Is sex addiction really a disease or just a convenient excuse? - Feb 25, 2011
- A third of unfaithful British mothers had one-night stand - Apr 06, 2010
- Genes explain why some people are Left wing - Oct 29, 2010
- Love as effective as drugs in driving pain away - Oct 14, 2010
- Genetic changes responsible for sweet tooth - Apr 05, 2011
- Brilliant or dull - triad of genes decides that - Jul 03, 2012
- Gene that predisposes some people to have liberal outlook found - Oct 28, 2010
- Your prince charming is 22 kisses away - Mar 18, 2011
- Your genes help you pick your friends: Study - Jan 18, 2011
- Brain's 'reward' center responds to bad experiences too - Feb 23, 2011
- Scientists Claim to Have Found 'Liberal Gene' - Oct 29, 2010
- Giant pouched rats could be potential bomb detectors: African Army - Mar 16, 2011
- Women 'get drunk before having sex because they lack confidence' - Mar 13, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,