On Christmas, Delhi feels oneDecember 25th, 2011 - 6:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 25 (IANS) Church bell chimes and midnight masses with special prayers heralded Christmas celebrations in the national capital Sunday.
Christian homes were decorated with Christmas trees and lights to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ.
“It is a festival of peace and harmony. People of all religions have come here today. They feel one with Jesus here,” said Father Maria Susai at the Scared Heart Cathedral which was built in 1934.
“This place gives me a sense of peace. I am not Christian but every year, I celebrate Christmas with some friends. We go to church and have some sweets,” 24-year-old Atul Sharma said.
The Christmas spirit could be felt all over the place. The church organised a day-long public mass and an open air theatre with a DJ playing songs.
Expatriates also gathered at the church to celebrate Christmas. Although Olivier Mensah from Togo in west Africa misses Christmas back home, he is in love with the unique mix of cultures in India.
“Christmas is always a big thing at home, lots of dance and merriment. But here, it’s different. The churches are so grand and beautiful and so many people of different cultures have come together,” Mensah, 27, told IANS.
While the mood of festivity prevailed on the Church premises, a different type of celebration could be seen outside the Church.
A group of youngsters in Santa caps, were carrying big sacks just like Santa Claus. The sacks were full of clothes, scarves and ear-muffs which they had decided to give to poor people.
The team’s leader, Dheeraj Rana, 17 said, “We are volunteering with the church. These are gifts for the poor and the needy.”
The youngsters’ gifts were even more relevant as incidentally, this is the coldest Christmas in the capital in 5 years.
Other churches across the city held Christmas mass and prayers. Markets and shopping malls in the capital were flooded with Santa Clauses of all shapes and sizes. They also sold briskly at traffic junctions.
- India rejoices in Christmas revelry with carols, feasts (Intro Roundup) - Dec 25, 2011
- India celebrates X-mas with carols, joy, feasting (Roundup) - Dec 25, 2011
- Christmas carols, cakes and gifts, it's merrymaking in Delhi! - Dec 25, 2010
- Christmas celebrated with fervour in Meghalaya - Dec 25, 2011
- Special Christmas prayers for peace in northeast - Dec 25, 2011
- Christmas celebrated in Kolkata - Dec 25, 2011
- Joyful Christmas with gifts, prayers in Mumbai - Dec 25, 2011
- Northeast soaked in yuletide spirit - Dec 21, 2011
- Carols, crackers mark Christmas in Andhra - Dec 25, 2011
- Christians attend midnight mass across India - Dec 25, 2010
- Capital celebrates Easter with fun, fervour - Apr 24, 2011
- Mumbai celebrates Christmas with enthusiasm - Dec 25, 2010
- 'Arthur Christmas' - Rekindles Christmas spirit (IANS Movie Review) - Jan 14, 2012
- Yuletide passion, festivities mark Christmas in northeast - Dec 25, 2009
- With prayers, feasts, Delhi celebrates Easter - Apr 08, 2012
Tags: bell chimes, birth of jesus, birth of jesus christ, christmas back home, christmas celebrations, christmas mass, christmas spirit, christmas trees, church premises, dheeraj, different cultures, ear muffs, peace and harmony, public mass, santa caps, santa clauses, scared heart, shapes and sizes, shopping malls, susai