Omega-3 fatty acids good for heart, bad for prostateApril 26th, 2011 - 1:37 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Apr 26 (ANI): Researchers are suggesting that high levels of Omega-3s, while good for the heart, may present a higher risk for developing prostate cancer.
Analyzing data from a nationwide study involving more than 3,400 men, Theodore M. Brasky, and colleagues at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center found that men with the highest blood percentages of docosahexaenoic acid, or DHA, an inflammation-lowering omega-3 fatty acid commonly found in fatty fish, have two-and-a-half-times the risk of developing aggressive, high-grade prostate cancer compared to men with the lowest DHA levels.
Conversely, the study also found that men with the highest blood ratios of trans-fatty acids - which are linked to inflammation and heart disease and abundant in processed foods that contain partially hydrogenated vegetable oils - had a 50 percent reduction in the risk of high-grade prostate cancer.
The researchers also found that omega-6 fatty acids, which are found in most vegetable oils and are linked to inflammation and heart disease, were not associated with prostate cancer risk.
They also found that none of the fats were associated with the risk of low-grade prostate cancer.
The study was recently published online in the American Journal of Epidemiology. (ANI)
- Fish oil ups risk of colon cancer in mice - Oct 06, 2010
- High consumption of omega-3s 'cuts obesity-related disease risk' - Mar 25, 2011
- Low levels of Omega fatty acids weaken memory - Feb 28, 2012
- Low fat, fish oil diet helps slow down cancer - Oct 26, 2011
- Unique genetic adaptation helped our brain grow - Apr 13, 2012
- Fish livers contain beneficial fatty acids - Apr 30, 2011
- Fish diet in pregnancy bolsters progeny's intelligence - Feb 01, 2012
- DHA 'fish oil' supplements 'not useful for those with mild Alzheimer's' - Nov 03, 2010
- Omega-3 pills unable to prevent heart attacks - Sep 12, 2012
- Turmeric may help walking ability in spinal injuries - Jun 27, 2012
- What's good for women's heart? Baked mackerel! - May 25, 2011
- Fish-oil components can treat chronic illness? - Oct 09, 2010
- Bingeing on soda, sweets makes you a dim wit - May 16, 2012
- How omega-3 fatty acids keep blindness at bay - Feb 10, 2011
- Omega-3 fatty acid in diet can make men fertile - Apr 13, 2010
Tags: 3 fatty acids, analyzing data, cancer research center, fatty fish, fred hutchinson cancer, fred hutchinson cancer research, fred hutchinson cancer research center, half times, heart disease, hutchinson cancer research center, hydrogenated vegetable oils, omega 3 fatty acid, omega 3 fatty acids, omega 3s, omega 6 fatty acids, processed foods, prostate cancer, prostate cancer risk, study also found that, trans fatty acids