Olympic torch lighting ceremony marred by Tibetan protestsMarch 24th, 2008 - 9:12 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Mar 24 (ANI): China vowed to carry the Olympic torch to the world’s highest peak, Mount Everest as planned, despite mounting protests by Tibetans marred the traditional Olympic torch lighting ceremony in Greece on Monday.
Tibet activist groups have called for stopping the Olympic torch relay from passing through the restive Himalayan region swamped by the Chinese military to crush the most volatile protests against its rule since 1989.
The ruling Communist leadership has promised the international community that it would ensure a smooth run-up to the 2008 Summer Olympics. Beijing is keen that successful games will bolster its international image.
Despite strict security arrangements, two demonstrators ran onto the field at Ancient Olympia in Greece during the flame-lighting ceremony, which was showed on Chinese state television with some delay.
Cameras abruptly cut away when a man carrying a black flag with handcuffs used to symbolise the five Olympics rings ran behind Liu Qi, the president of Beijing’s Olympics Organising Committee and Beijing Communist Party Secretary, was giving a speech. Police detained the two men, media reports said.
Officers also detained one Tibetan campaigner and a Greek photographer with him just outside the venue.
Apprehending trouble, around 1,000 police officers were deployed in ancient Olympia, where the games originated 3,000 years ago, for the traditional torch lighting ceremony.
The torch is to arrive March 31 in Beijing. The flame is to be carried through 20 countries, including India to the 8,848-meter high Mt Everest in Tibet in May for the Games that will begin on August 8. (ANI)
- Olympic flame lit in Greece (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Flame for Innsbruck 2012 Youth Olympics lit in Athens - Dec 18, 2011
- 2012 Olympic torch lit in Ancient Olympia - May 10, 2012
- Be true to human nature: Olympic Flame ceremonies High Priestess - Jul 18, 2012
- Olympic Flame reaches Acropolis for handover ceremony - May 17, 2012
- England football legend Jack Charlton to run Olympic torch relay - Jun 15, 2012
- Police deployed in Athens for arrival of Olympic torch - Mar 29, 2008
- China's artistry of lighting Games torch dazzles - Nov 12, 2010
- Flame for Beijing Olympics lit in Olympia - Mar 24, 2008
- Olympic flame lit in Olympia amid protests - Mar 24, 2008
- 'Indian among eight arrested in Athens Olympic protest' - Mar 25, 2008
- Olympic flame travels to Dublin - Jun 06, 2012
- London 2012 organizers confirm route for Olympic Flame - Mar 19, 2012
- Paralympic torch and relay route unveiled - Mar 01, 2012
- Speed skater, triathlete, carry Olympic flame into Canada - Oct 31, 2009
Tags: 2008 summer olympics, activist groups, ancient olympia, chinese state, communist leadership, giving a speech, himalayan region, international image, lighting ceremony, liu qi, olympic torch lighting, olympic torch relay, olympics rings, organising committee, party secretary, security arrangements, speech police, state television, strict security, summer olympics