Olive oil protects against heart attack, strokeApril 2nd, 2009 - 12:27 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Apr 2 (ANI): Portuguese researchers have identified a vital component of olive oil that gives greatest protection from heart attack and stroke.
Lead researcher Fatima Paiva-Martins from University of Porto has discovered an antioxidant called DHPEA-EDA that protects red blood cells from damage more than any other part of olive oil.
“These findings provide the scientific basis for the clear health benefits that have been seen in people who have olive oil in their diet,” said Paiva-Martins.
During the study, research team led by Paiva-Martins compared the effects of four related polyphenolic compounds on red blood cells subjected to oxidative stress by a known free radical generating chemical.
Heart disease is caused partly by reactive oxygen, including free radicals, acting on LDL or “bad” cholesterol and resulting in hardening of the arteries. Red blood cells are particularly susceptible to oxidative damage because they are the body’s oxygen carriers.
They found that DHPEA-EDA was the most effective and protected red blood cells even at low concentrations.
The new discovery, Paiva-Martins believes, can lead to the production of “functional” olive oils specifically designed to reduce the risk of heart disease.
The study is published in Molecular Nutrition & Food Research. (ANI)
- 'Olive oil offers best protection from heart attack' - Apr 02, 2009
- The natural 'super-smoothie' that cuts cardiac risk - May 05, 2011
- Dark chocolate may reduce cardio risks, study shows - Apr 25, 2012
- How a Mediterranean diet rich in olive oil protects against heart disease - Jul 01, 2010
- Olive leaf pill may help combat heart trouble - Apr 16, 2011
- Extra-virgin olive oil protects liver - Oct 29, 2010
- Vegetables, grain cut stroke risk in women - Dec 04, 2011
- Antioxidants in pecans 'good for your heart' - Feb 25, 2011
- Statin can prevent strokes, besides lowering lipids - Jan 05, 2012
- Molecular 'switch' that contributes to cellular aging process identified - Dec 01, 2010
- Secrets behind what makes people attractive revealed - Oct 25, 2010
- Exercise protects heart via nitric oxide - May 05, 2011
- Oxidative stress may not be all that harmful - Dec 07, 2011
- Exercise protects heart from injury through nitric oxide - May 05, 2011
- Garlic oil component protects heart - Nov 17, 2011
Tags: bad cholesterol, chemical heart, eda, food research, free radicals, hardening of the arteries, health benefits, heart attack, heart disease, martins, molecular nutrition, new discovery, olive oil, olive oils, oxygen carriers, paiva, polyphenolic compounds, red blood cells, risk of heart disease, vital component