Olive oil loses antioxidants after six months storageMarch 22nd, 2009 - 4:00 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Mar 22 (ANI): A new study has discovered that if olive oil has been sitting on the shelf for six months, it can lose up to 40 percent of its health benefits.
The research was carried out an analysis on several varieties of extra-virgin olive oil produced from groves in the Italian countryside at production and during storage.
It was discovered that after three months of storage, the antioxidant activity in the oils remained unchanged, but antioxidants decreased by about 40 percent for almost all of the oils after six months.
The protective role of virgin olive oil is the result of its specific composition including phenolic compounds known to act as antioxidants, says lead researcher Antonella Baiano of the University of Foggia in Italy.
The health benefits of extra-virgin olive oil may include preventing conditions related to coronary disease, stroke and certain types of cancers.
Researchers recommend consumers store extra virgin olive oil in small glass bottles (one liter maximum because the oxygen contained in the headspace determines its oxidation), in a dark location, at a temperature lower than 68-77degF (20-25degC).
The study has been presented in the March Journal of Food Science, published by the Institute of Food Technologists. (ANI)
- Extra-virgin olive oil protects liver - Oct 29, 2010
- Here's how Mediterranean diet keeps you healthy - Apr 20, 2010
- Olive oil protects against breast cancer: Study - Jul 03, 2010
- Here's what makes olive oil beneficial for health - Jun 29, 2010
- How olive oil can help fight breast cancer - Dec 22, 2008
- Olive oil may help fight cancer - Dec 18, 2008
- Tomato plants produce unique antioxidant - Jul 24, 2011
- Beat diabetes with a wheat and rice free diet - Aug 05, 2011
- 'Use canola or olive oil for better health' - Jan 11, 2012
- How a Mediterranean diet rich in olive oil protects against heart disease - Jul 01, 2010
- Cloves the best natural antioxidants: Study - Mar 18, 2010
- Extra-virgin olive oil may help prevent, treat Alzheimer's - Sep 30, 2009
- Onion natural alternative to artificial preservatives - Apr 15, 2010
- Olive oil helps breast cancer survivors lose weight - Jun 04, 2010
- 'Olive oil offers best protection from heart attack' - Apr 02, 2009
Tags: antioxidant activity, baiano, coronary disease, dark location, extra virgin olive oil, headspace, health benefits of extra virgin olive oil, institute of food technologists, italian countryside, journal of food science, liter, oxidation, phenolic compounds, researcher, six months, small glass bottles, three months, types of cancers, university of foggia, virgin olive oil