‘Oil-munching bacteria’ may clean hard-to-reach oil pockets of Gulf spillAugust 4th, 2010 - 1:31 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, August 4 (ANI): Tel Aviv University researchers have used naturally occurring ‘oil-munching bacteria’ grown in labs to clean the hard-to-reach oil pockets that occur when oil mixes with sand and organic matter on beaches.
This find may be implemented in cleaning up the waste created by the Gulf oil spill.
Prof. Eugene Rosenberg and Prof. Eliora Ron of TAU developed methods of growing the bacteria, and increasing their capacity to ingest the oil.
The solution that could clean up the residual oil that can’t be removed by mechanical means.
It is this small percentage of oil that sits under rocks and forms a thin film on the water’s surface.
“We see sad pictures of birds covered in oil and people with good intentions cleaning bird wings,” said Ron.
“But by the time the oil is on their wings, it’s too late. Birds die because oil gets into their lungs.”
At this level of oil removal, the researcher says, the only solution is bioremediation - using nature itself to do the final cleanup.
Ron and Rosenberg’s solution has already been applied to clean out the bilges of oil tankers at sea and is used around the world.
The research appears in The Handbook of Hydrocarbon and Lipid Microbiology. (ANI)
- 'Seaweed bacteria more effective than toothpaste' - Jul 05, 2012
- Is groundwater clean and safe to drink anymore? - Feb 21, 2011
- Marine bacteria pitch in to help clean Deepwater Horizon spill - May 28, 2010
- Can clams help clean oil-filled waters? - Feb 27, 2011
- Oil-eating bacteria cleaning China oil spill - Jul 20, 2010
- New clean-up tools being used to protect wetlands from Gulf of Mexico oil spill - May 21, 2010
- Bacteria can lead to evolution of new species - Nov 02, 2010
- Forget good looks, it's gut bacteria that 'influence choice of mate' - Dec 03, 2010
- Bugs generate power while cleaning nuclear waste - Sep 07, 2011
- Bugs can destroy toxins in polluted groundwater - Aug 02, 2011
- Eco-friendly method of separating oil from tar sands developed - Mar 20, 2011
- Extreme caution required in Gulf Oil-spill clean up: Berkeley expert - May 05, 2010
- Did bacteria make a clean sweep of BP oil spill? - Aug 27, 2010
- Officials Baffled As More Than 1,000 Dead Birds Fall From Sky in Arkansas - Jan 03, 2011
- MCD cleans drain below Barapullah corridor - Oct 06, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,