‘Occupy Dalal Street’ clamour on internetOctober 19th, 2011 - 10:23 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Oct 19 (IANS) After the ‘Occupy Wall Street’ campaign in New York, some Indians have started a move on social networking sites to ‘Occupy Dalal Street’ where the country’s premier bourse, the Bombay Stock Exchange, is located.
Among other things, the ‘Occupy Dalal Street’ campaign wants to fight “greedy capitalism” and “greedy corporates”, the media and even India Against Corruption (IAC), which supports anti-corruption activist Anna Hazare.
The move has started in a small way on social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter.
A Facebook page titled “Occupy Dalal Street Movement” was created recently.
The administrator of the page posted: “Friend, let us fight against greedy capitalism. Any extremism is ruinous whether extreme capitalism or socialism.”
“Everything is captured and controlled by greedy corporates, be it government, media or even IAC. So let us unite against this greedy corporate culture which is represented by Dalal Street in India like Wall Street in USA,” he added.
To this, another Facebook user commented: “The other Occupy Mumbai is better. We should direct anger at the government, not the corporates.”
Author and great grandson of Mahatma Gandhi, Tushar Gandhi tweeted: “It’s time that the Indian poor launch an ‘Occupy Dalal Street’ and gherao FM & Planning Commission Satyagraha.”
User JagPaw responded: “We are waiting for a messiah called Lokpal coming to save us from sin.”
- Facebook: The new battlefield in Bengal politics - Jul 22, 2012
- Ramdev creates ripples in cyberworld - Jun 05, 2011
- 'Occupy Dalal Street Movement' protestors detained - Nov 04, 2011
- Google now restricts Facebook access to Gmail contacts - Nov 06, 2010
- Facebook generates feel good factor - Jun 27, 2012
- Facebook's Amber Alerts to help locate missing children - Jan 13, 2011
- Kiran Bedi skips IAC protest rally - Aug 26, 2012
- 'Occupy Dalal Street' protest Friday - Nov 01, 2011
- Social media powering modern protests, note experts - Apr 17, 2012
- Facebook to become publicly-listed company - Jan 30, 2012
- Facebook Developers admit that they sold User Ids to data brokers - Nov 02, 2010
- CBI experiments with Facebook to solve cases - Nov 09, 2011
- Facebook Attacked By New Worm, Again! - Oct 02, 2010
- 25 million Facebook users in India - Apr 28, 2011
- Mark Zuckerberg's Facebook page hacked - Jan 26, 2011
Tags: bombay stock exchange, bourse, capitalism, clamour, corporate culture, corporates, corruption, dalal street, extremism, facebook, government media, launch, mahatma gandhi, messiah, mumbai, planning commission, satyagraha, social networking sites, socialism, tushar gandhi