Obesity in postmenopausal women increases risk for fracturesMarch 26th, 2011 - 6:06 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, March 26 (ANI): A new study has shown that postmenopausal obese women are almost as likely to fracture as non-obese women, and that poor mobility and increased risk of falls may play an important role.
Obesity is widely believed to be protective against fracture, but the study documented a high prevalence of obesity in postmenopausal women with fragility fracture.
The study compared prevalence and location of fractures in obese and non-obese postmenopausal women and examined specific risk factors for fracture.
A history of fracture after age 45 years was observed in 23 percent of obese and 24 percent of non-obese women.
Nearly one in four postmenopausal women with fractures is obese.
The upper arm, ankle and lower leg were significantly more likely to be affected in obese than non-obese women with a prevalent fracture, whereas fractures of the wrist, hip and pelvis were significantly less common than in non-obese women.
When compared to non-obese women, obese women with a prevalent fracture were more likely to be current cortisone users, to report early menopause, to report fair or poor general health, to use arms to assist standing from a sitting position, and to report more than two falls in the past year.
The findings were presented at the European Congress on Osteoporosis and Osteoarthritis. (ANI)
- Wine could help protect older women from thinning bones - Aug 03, 2012
- Smoking doesn't boost breast cancer risk in obese postmenopausal women - Apr 04, 2011
- Gene combinations linked to hip osteoporosis in postmenopausal women - Mar 30, 2011
- Epilepsy drugs trigger risk of fractures - Jul 01, 2012
- Long-term use of osteoporosis drugs raises risk of fractures - Feb 23, 2011
- Obesity can lead to permanent knee damage: Studies - Feb 14, 2011
- Childhood obesity comes from unhealthy lifestyle: Study - Feb 01, 2011
- Obesity epidemic behind rheumatoid arthritis - Apr 26, 2012
- Calcium intake crucial for postmenopausal women - Jun 18, 2010
- Obesity can cause irreparable damage to knees - Feb 14, 2011
- Postmenopausal women urged to increase yearly dental checkups - Mar 11, 2011
- Breast cancer survivors 'more likely to fall' - Mar 05, 2011
- Starting hormone therapy at menopause 'ups breast cancer risk' - Jan 29, 2011
- HIV-infected postmenopausal women at increased bone fracture risk - Jan 06, 2010
- Weight loss increases Vitamin D in obese women - May 26, 2011
Tags: 45 years, cortisone, early menopause, european congress, fracture, fractures, fragility, general health, menopause, obese women, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, pelvis, poor mobility, postmenopausal women, prevalence of obesity, risk factors, upper arm