Obama’s mother plays Bingo in South Africa for charityApril 9th, 2009 - 12:41 pm ICT by IANS
Pretoria, April 9 (IANS) US President Barack Obama’s stepmother is in South Africa to help raise money for a charity by playing Bingo.
Kezia Obama, 67, is using her love of the numbers game to raise funds for Operation Hunger.
Bingo is a game of chance where players attempt to match randomly selected numbered balls from a bin, with the numbers displayed on corresponding bingo cards.
According to BuaNews, Kezia Obama - who was married to Barack senior, father of the US president - is expected to play Bingo in Gauteng’s major malls, including Kolanade centre, Centurion Mall, Rooihuiskraal, Westgate and Alberton, the report said.
She will also visit charity organisations countrywide as well as Constitutional Hill and the Apartheid Museum.
Speaking at a media briefing in Johannesburg, Obama said she liked playing Bingo and has won several competitions.
“I like playing Bingo and helping people. I’m here to raise funds to help children,” she said.
Director of Viva Bingo Percy Shabalala said they chose Obama to help with fundraising because of her love for Bingo and passion to help the poor.
Operation Hunger helps feed people living in impoverished and conflict-stricken areas.
The organisation also works with local communities to initiate development programmes designed to create an environment conducive to optimum child growth.
- Obama's stepmother granted British citizenship - Dec 13, 2011
- 13 million South Africans test for HIV - Jul 27, 2011
- Obama's British stepmother flies out for inauguration - Jan 16, 2009
- Young South African women told to be independent - Aug 12, 2011
- Beyonce releases song to raise fund for 9/11 victims - May 07, 2011
- South Africa urges circumcision to curb sexual diseases - Jul 28, 2011
- Aretha Franklin, Condoleezza Rice perform for charity concert - Jul 29, 2010
- South Africa uses metro to carry waste to landfills - Nov 06, 2011
- Gaga to raise money for AIDS victims - Aug 31, 2011
- South Africa to create over 10,000 jobs in tourism - Apr 22, 2011
- Obamas bingo and roast beef-loving stepmum wants to stay in UK - Jan 17, 2009
- Sir Edward Elgar penned world's first football chant - Sep 27, 2010
- In South Africa, you can book flights on mobile phones - Sep 30, 2010
- Murder rate drops in South Africa - Sep 10, 2011
- Barack Obama is star-struck by 'Spider-Man'! - Apr 23, 2011
Tags: apartheid, barack obama, bingo, bingo cards, centurion, charity organisations, competitions, game of chance, gauteng, hunger, johannesburg, kezia, malls, numbers game, pretoria, shabalala, south africa, stepmother, stricken areas, westgate