Obama failed the Commander-in-Chief test on Iraq: McCainJuly 26th, 2008 - 12:06 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, July 26 (ANI): Republican presidential hopeful Senator John McCain has accused his rival Democrat Senator Barack Obama of failing the Commander-in-Chief test on Iraq.
Speaking to war veterans in Denver, McCain criticised Obama for opposing President George W Bushs troop surge in Iraq - one of the few issues where the GOP has gotten traction against Obama during his tour of Europe and US war zones.
Eighteen months ago, America faced a crisis as profound as any in our history, McCain said, declaring that the choice to boost troops in the faltering Iraq war was a real-time test for a future commander in chief that Obama failed.
He didnt just advocate defeat, he tried to legislate it, the Daily News quoted McCain, as saying.
Obama told the American people what he thought you wanted to hear. I told you the truth. Fortunately, Senator Obama failed, not our military. We rejected the audacity of hopelessness, he added.
Obama traveled to Iraq after McCain and the GOP taunted him for not visiting the war in more than 900 days.
During Obamas visit, Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki came out in favor of his plan for the US to withdraw in 16 months, leaving McCain as one of the few remaining advocates of an open-ended U.S commitment.
The Obama campaign shot back that McCain was engaged in bogus, backwards-looking attacks.
The American people are looking for a serious debate about the way forward in Iraq and Afghanistan, and angry, false accusations will do nothing to accomplish that goal, said Obama spokesman Bill Burton.
Burton condemned suggestions that Obama preferred a political win to a military loss. (ANI)
- US troops to pull out from Iraq by 2011 end - Oct 22, 2011
- Obama marks end of Iraq war - Dec 15, 2011
- US, Iraqi officials talk relations after troops drawdown - Oct 29, 2011
- 23 protesters killed in Iraq's 'Day of Rage' - Feb 26, 2011
- Last US troops out of Iraq (Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
- US troops to be out of Iraq this year - Dec 12, 2011
- Iraq marks first Army Day - Jan 07, 2012
- McCain commends Obama on bin Laden killing - May 02, 2011
- UAE foreign minister visits Iraq - Feb 17, 2012
- Radical Islamic cleric al-Sadr urges Iraqis to 'resist occupier US with all means' - Jan 08, 2011
- Barack Obama to host Iraqi PM in White House - Nov 05, 2011
- US Vice President Biden in surprise visit to Iraq - Jan 23, 2010
- Mitt Romney is backed by Kelly Ayotte - Nov 23, 2011
- US defence chief arrives in Iraq - Sep 01, 2010
- Democratic gov candidate asks Obama to 'take endorsement and shove it' - Oct 26, 2010
Tags: audacity, barack obama, bill burton, chief test, criticised, democrat senator, false accusations, hopelessness, iraq war, john mccain, nouri al maliki, prime minister nouri al maliki, senator barack obama, senator john mccain, senator obama, time test, tour of europe, troop surge in iraq, war veterans, war zones