Now, watch 3-D films on your cell phone!February 12th, 2011 - 1:16 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb 12 (ANI): Watching 3-D films on your cell phone would now be possible thanks to researchers who have combined the new mobile radio standard LTE-Advanced with a video coding technique.
Researchers at the Fraunhofer Institute for Telecommunications, Heinrich-Hertz-Institut, HHI in Berlin, Germany, have come up with a special compression technique for films in especially good high-resolution HD quality.
It computes the films down to low data rates while maintaining quality: H.264/AVC. What the H.246/AVC video format is to high-definition films, the Multiview Video Coding (MVC) is to 3-D films.
Thomas Schierl explained that “MVC is used to pack together the two images needed for the stereoscopic 3-D effect to measurably reduce the film’s bit rate,” and this technique can be used to reduce the size of 3-D films as much as 40 percent.
That means that you can quickly receive excellent quality 3-D films in connection with the new 3G-LTE mobile radio standard. Key is the radio resource management integrated into the LTE system that allows flexible data transmission while including various quality of service classes.
Thomas Wirth, another scientist at the HHI, added, “The 2-D and 3-D bit streams divided up by MVC can be prioritized for each user at the air interface to support different services, thus opening up a completely new field for business models.”
The new technology would be shown at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. (ANI)
- Soon, watch 3-D movies on your TV, computer via Internet and satellite - Aug 27, 2010
- New format to ensure disruption-free images on TV - Sep 06, 2008
- Southampton varsity researchers to develop systems to support flawless tele-presence - Mar 01, 2011
- Enjoy 3D movies without glasses - Aug 19, 2012
- Soon, home entertainment without goggles could become a reality - Mar 01, 2011
- Interactive window-shopping could soon be a reality - Jan 15, 2011
- Airtel unveils 4G service in Bangalore - May 07, 2012
- Droid Bionic From Motorola Shown At CES 2011 - Jan 06, 2011
- 4G, 3G to grow parallelly in India: Ericsson - Sep 01, 2011
- Light from lamps could one day encode a wireless broadband signal - Mar 10, 2010
- Soon, a magic mirror to dress you the virtual style - Sep 28, 2008
- Huawei to manage Bharti Airtel's 4G network in Karnataka - May 01, 2012
- Now, use your fingers as remote control to perform variety of tasks - Feb 21, 2009
- Reliance Entertainment to co-produce 'Dangerous Ishq' - Oct 01, 2011
- New LTE tech to revolutionize wireless experience - Oct 28, 2010
Tags: air interface, avc, berlin germany, bit rate, business models, compression technique, data transmission, different services, flexible data, fraunhofer institute for telecommunications, h 264, heinrich hertz institut, hhi, mobile radio, mobile world, quality of service, radio resource management, schierl, video coding, world congress