Now study says parents turning embarrassment for kidsSeptember 6th, 2011 - 11:53 am ICT by IANS
London, Sep 6 (IANS) Many parents in Britain are turning an embarrassment for their children due to their awkward behaviour at public places, says a study.
Dads are leading the way when it comes to embarrassing behaviour in front of their teenage offspring. Be it a spot of over-enthusiastic dancing during a family celebration or public displays of affection, they are guaranteed to make their sons and daughters cringe, Daily Express reported.
The British mums are getting in on the act too with their old jokes or getting drunk.
During a poll, commissioned by Twentieth Century Fox for the release of the Modern Family Season 2 box-set, out of the 1,500 British teenagers interviewed, 88 percent admitted to being regularly embarrassed by their parents.
About three-quarters said they would not introduce a boyfriend or girlfriend to their parents if they embarrassed them. Some 63 percent said their fathers were more cringe-inducing than mothers.
The study also revealed teenagers spending only 3.5 hours a week talking with their parents compared to 10.5 hours of chatting with friends on social networking sites.
Researchers also quizzed 1,500 parents for the survey and found that mothers and fathers are so desperate to impress their children that six in 10 admitted they had lied about their past to seem cooler.
Relationship expert Jenni Trent Hughes said: “It’s amazing the lengths parents go to try to communicate with their kids.
“But attempts at appearing cool and trendy are having the opposite affect and sending kids running to their bedrooms in embarrassment.”
- Obama's daughters find him embarrassing - Jan 14, 2012
- Over half of parents spy on kids on Facebook - Jul 21, 2011
- Back to school, British mums dressing up to kill - Aug 31, 2011
- Mothers can help where it hurts kids the most - Sep 07, 2012
- Inconsistent parental discipline creates anti-social kids - Feb 27, 2012
- Baby boys getting dad's love grow up happier - Jul 19, 2012
- Hampshire police unveil new 'Noddy car' for patrols - May 20, 2010
- Many Teens Today Are Ready To Unfriend Their Parents On Facebook, Study Says - Aug 30, 2010
- Children from broken homes 'twice as likely to have emotional problems' - Oct 15, 2010
- Boy hangs himself after seeing father's suicide - Mar 07, 2012
- Nagging parents drive kids into playing videogames - Sep 08, 2011
- Rs.1,500 for three kids? Court hikes maintenance - May 29, 2011
- Financial woes upset parent-child bond - Dec 08, 2011
- Fathers,not mothers, influence what children eat - Jun 10, 2011
- Kids may be killing your marital joy - Jul 03, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,