Now, meet a robot teacher that took its first class in Tokyo schoolMay 12th, 2009 - 6:10 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 12 (ANI): The age-old picture of a teacher has undergone a technological makeover, after a robot schoolteacher developed by Japanese scientists conducted a class in a Tokyo school.
The female humanoid robot, called Saya, taught a science and technology lesson to a class of 10-year-old pupils at Kudan Elementary School in Tokyo.
With her neat brown hair, pink lipstick and skirt suit, Saya, created by scientists at Tokyo University of Science, has been designed to resemble a human as far as possible.
Saya uses a range of programmed movements from eyebrow arching to smiling, and her face can express six basic emotions in the classroom - surprise, fear, disgust, anger, happiness and sadness.
Professor Hiroshi Kobayashi, the mind behind Saya, said that the robot’s main purpose was to highlight the joys of technology to children.
He also said that the teaching robot would benefit schools suffering from a shortage of human teachers.
“In the countryside and in some small schools, there are children who do not have the opportunity to come into contact with new technology and also there are few teachers out there that can teach these lessons,” the Telegraph quoted Kobayashi as saying.
He added: “So we hope to be able to develop this robot so it can be remotely controlled to teach these classes.”
Saya was originally developed to work as a receptionist in Japanese companies five years ago, but scientists recently reprogrammed it into to take over the role of a schoolteacher. (ANI)
- The Japanese store where Saya, the robot, greets customers - Nov 19, 2009
- Table tennis playing robots debut in China - Oct 11, 2011
- Tokyo varsity beckons Indians to study in Japan - Feb 27, 2012
- University of Tokyo seeks collaboration with IGNOU - Jun 27, 2012
- Gay elements to be taught to four-year-olds in Britain - Jan 26, 2011
- Robot makes debut performance on stage - Nov 16, 2010
- Female fashion robot to hit Japanese catwalk - Mar 17, 2009
- Delhi lad hopes his robots will bend it like Beckham - Jul 12, 2010
- Japan's Robotic actress takes stage - Nov 12, 2010
- Robot makes speed record - Mar 06, 2012
- Can robots be blamed for killing civilians? - Apr 24, 2012
- Robot marathon to take place in Japan - Feb 25, 2011
- A living robot who smiles, sings like a girl! - Apr 12, 2012
- Now, humanoid robots that can perform hip-hop! - Aug 28, 2010
- Indian teacher chosen for US space programme (Lead) - Jan 31, 2012
Tags: brown hair, disgust, eyebrow, hiroshi kobayashi, human teachers, humanoid robot, japanese companies, japanese scientists, makeover, old picture, pink lipstick, programmed movements, receptionist, sadness, schoolteacher, science and technology, skirt suit, technology lesson, tokyo school, tokyo university