Now, make trips to Titanic wreck at $61,000December 27th, 2011 - 7:10 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 27 (IANS) People willing to take a look at the then world’s biggest ocean liner, the Titanic, will be able to make trips to the wreck at the bottom of the Atlantic at a price of around $61,000.
Among those who have already signed up for the trip are a London banker and a doctor from Missouri, the Telegraph reported.
Deep Ocean Expeditions are hoping to take 80 people to the ship on the centenary of its sinking in 2012.
However, just two visitors would be able to go down at a time and it would take two hours to descend to the wreck, that was discovered in 1985.
The spot is also the resting place for 1,517 people who died April 14, 1912.
Rob McCallum, expedition leader of Deep Ocean Expeditions, said it would be the only time the firm took tourists to the spot.
“We never set out to be a retail travel company. Next year will be a poignant year to make the trip. It’s a good time for us to sign off,” he said.
Between the two parts of the broken ship, the ocean floor is strewn with bottles, cups, knives and leather suitcases.
- Titanic expedition reveals first wreck images in 5 years - Aug 29, 2010
- Robert Scott's ship found after 70 years - Aug 18, 2012
- Titanic expedition captures new images of the wreck - Aug 30, 2010
- 100-year-old Chinese book mentioned Titanic - Apr 10, 2012
- Haynes produce manual for 'Titanic' - nearly 100 yrs after it sank - Mar 27, 2011
- Titanic wreckage to become Unesco heritage - Apr 06, 2012
- Titanic bouncy castle with inflatable icebergs branded a 'bouncy graveyard' - Jul 01, 2010
- Scientists 'to virtually raise Titanic using 3D technology' - Aug 21, 2010
- Last Titanic survivor's ashes scattered at starting point of the doomed voyage - Oct 25, 2009
- Titanic becoming fast food for bacteria - Dec 07, 2010
- UK tycoon Branson to explore ocean's deepest parts - Apr 06, 2011
- 200,000 Titanic records published online - Apr 09, 2012
- Key that could have saved Titanic to go on sale - Apr 16, 2010
- Hundreds of bars of silver rescued from WWII shipwreck - Jul 19, 2012
- Steven Soderbergh in the running to direct "The Man from Uncle" - Nov 18, 2010
Tags: april 14 1912, deep ocean, expedition leader, good time, knives, leather suitcases, london banker, mccallum, ocean expeditions, ocean floor, ocean liner, resting place, retail travel, telegraph, titanic wreck, tourists, travel company