Now, an electronic fitness trainer to motivate you to exercise!February 9th, 2011 - 6:41 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb 9 (ANI): Whether you have done an exercise in the right or wrong way is important if training has to succeed. Unfortunately, this response is available only from trained sport therapists and not when exercising alone at home.
Researchers at the Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits IIS at Erlangen in Germany have now developed a ‘fitness assistant’ that not only motivates you towards more exercise but also gives demonstration.
The electronic fitness assistant consists of a sensor suit that collects information about its wearer’s movements and transmits current measurement results to a TV, computer or smartphone.
During exercises, a T-shirt monitors the wearer’s breathing. The smartphone provides a user interface, analyses the collected data, gives the user feedback on the success of his or her training and can instruct the user on gymnastics or rehabilitation exercises.
Plus it is all individually tailored to the needs and demands of the individual wearer.
First, a trainer or physical therapist creates a personal training plan on the electronic fitness assistant.
Under his or her supervision, all of the exercises are recorded once to ensure that they perfectly match the user’s own performance levels. Then, the exercises can be repeated in the home environment.An ‘avatar’, a digital trainer, performs the exercises in real time - on TV, for instance.
The program then compares the exercise being performed with the results of the recording and makes any needed adjustments to the wearer’s posture.
The goal is to playfully motivate the wearer to exercise more. The areas of application include exercise programs for senior citizens or patients undergoing rehabilitation.
Combined with digital games - gaming consoles have shown how it is done - the electronic trainer can also be tailored for use by younger people. (ANI)
- Electronic fitness trainer to keep you exercising - Feb 09, 2011
- 'Magic cap' that helps you spell words with your mind! - Mar 10, 2011
- Gymnastics Canada confirms team for Delhi CWG - Sep 16, 2010
- Students perform better when online training helpers look like them - Mar 03, 2011
- Now smartphones will help you navigate mega malls - May 13, 2012
- Want to exercise? Find your fitness type - Apr 12, 2010
- Sheen doesn't believe in rehab - Jun 27, 2012
- Samsung to launch cheaper smartphones for India - Mar 18, 2012
- US TV channel apologises for monkey ad - Aug 04, 2012
- Exercise benefits cancer patients - May 21, 2010
- Dissatisfied with fitness regime? Try a personal trainer - Oct 03, 2011
- Heart needs exercise not rest after heart attack, claims study - Apr 15, 2011
- Arthritis? Exercise for less pain - Jan 02, 2010
- Strength training for seniors offers cognitive, economic benefits: Study - Dec 14, 2010
- Sony unveils smart phones for upward mobile - May 24, 2012
Tags: digital games, electronic trainer, exercise programs, fitness trainer, fraunhofer institute, gaming consoles, gymnastics, home environment, integrated circuits, measurement results, performance levels, personal training, physical therapist, posture, rehabilitation exercises, senior citizens, smartphone, tv computer, user interface, wrong way