Now, a sperm bank in MumbaiSeptember 22nd, 2008 - 8:20 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 22 (IANS) Thousands of couples facing the infertility problem may now take heart! A Denmark headquartered company Monday set up a sperm bank in Mumbai that is expected to provide viable alternatives to start a family.“Clinical data estimates that almost 12 percent of Indian couples suffer from some form of infertility, and quality sperm banks can provide safe and viable alternative for them to start a family”, said Pushpa Mitra Bhargava, member of the Committee on Assisted Reproduction Clinics of Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), after inaugurating the bank.
Cryos International India will offer its expertise in donor semen, patient deposits and other semen related clinical products at its state-of-the-art facility in Mulund.
Ole Schou, Founder of the Cryos International, Denmark, said: “Globally, sperm banking is no longer a solution only for the infertile couples. Couples or individual men choose to freeze their sperms for various reasons that could be related to their lifestyle, medical conditions or simply a matter of choice.”
Managing Director of Cryos International India Dilip Patil said there is growing awareness and acceptability of Assisted Reproduction Techniques (ART) and the demand for independent, quality sperm and egg banks in India is also growing.
Officials said the new bank adheres to both national and international standards. India has already a couple of sperm banks including one from the Apollo Hospitals group.
Cryos is currently present in 60 countries across the world.
- Indian sperm hard to find, says world's leading sperm bank - Sep 17, 2011
- IVF clinics mushroom under toothless ICMR guidelines (Feature) - Oct 19, 2011
- New male infertility test could 'bring hope to millions' - Jun 07, 2011
- Youngsters donate sperm to help childless couples in Mumbai - Jul 19, 2010
- Shanghai sperm bank has 100,000 samples - Sep 10, 2012
- IVF centres lack counselling facilities: Survey - Oct 13, 2011
- Gel soon to perk up male fertility - Apr 15, 2012
- New study says that there has been no decline in sperm counts - Jun 08, 2011
- Women's rights being violated in India's surrogacy capital - Mar 02, 2012
- Lifestyle disorders causing infertility in women - Feb 06, 2011
- Beware! Fatty acids could lower quality of semen - Mar 14, 2012
- Singapore fertility centre fined due to sperm mix-up - Jun 22, 2011
- Fat dads may lower chances of pregnancy - Oct 31, 2010
- Open-minded' college students largest sperm donors in China - Mar 21, 2011
- Test to identify 'best' sperm developed - May 29, 2010