Now, a new eye jab that could cure blindness!April 17th, 2011 - 5:04 pm ICT by ANI
London, April 17 (ANI): Scientists have developed a new eye injection, which they claim could cure blindness.
The treatment, which costs 2,000 pounds, could stop the onset of blindness and can also help restore loss of vision.
The steroid implant, which releases an anti-inflammatory drug near the retina, is used to prevent the sudden loss of sight caused by a blockage of veins at the back of the eye.
However, experts said it could also be used to prevent many other causes of blindness such as diabetes and age-related macular degeneration.
“This is very exciting and could be used in a wide potential range of sight loss problems. The results are astounding,” the Daily Express quoted Shafiq Rehman, a specialist at the Yorkshire Eye Hospital in Bradford, as saying.
“This is new, it works and it’s wonderful. To date there have been no really safe and effective treatments for people with inflammation at the back of the eye. This is the first,” said Oliver Backhouse, consultant ophthalmologist at Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust. (ANI)
- 20-min revolutionary op for ageing eyes - Feb 28, 2010
- How omega-3 fatty acids keep blindness at bay - Feb 10, 2011
- Drug implant to help stem sight loss - Aug 19, 2010
- Grapes can stave off age-related blindness - Jan 15, 2012
- Drug-carrying microbot roams through eye - Mar 11, 2011
- Bionic eye can restore lost vision - Nov 03, 2010
- Prosthetic retina shows promise in restoring sight - May 18, 2012
- Night blindness cured in mice with special cells - Apr 19, 2012
- Low-cost molecular medicine offers hope for patients with vision loss - Apr 18, 2011
- Stem cell therapy for age-related macular degeneration may soon be a reality - Mar 25, 2011
- Novel cell therapy slows down vision loss in eye disease - Apr 08, 2011
- Saffron may help halt or reverse sight loss - Feb 06, 2010
- Vitamin A pill could protect the sight of millions - Oct 18, 2010
- 'Bionic eye' gets go ahead post trials - Mar 14, 2011
- Eating oily fish keeps blindness at bay - Dec 02, 2010
Tags: age related macular degeneration, backhouse, causes of blindness, consultant ophthalmologist, daily express, diabetes, eye hospital, inflammation, inflammatory drug, jab, leeds, london, loss of vision, macular degeneration, retina, scientists, sudden loss of sight, teaching hospitals, veins, yorkshire