Novel TB test may provide results quickly, efficientlyMay 8th, 2009 - 3:10 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, May 08 (ANI): A scientist has developed a new diagnostic test for TB, called Xpert MTB/RIF, which can provide results quickly and efficiently.
The test, developed by Dr. David Alland, chief of the Division of Infectious Disease at UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School, can simultaneously identify Mycobacterium tuberculosis (MTB) and resistance to the common first-line drug for treating TB and a reliable surrogate marker of strains that are multidrug-resistant (MDR-TB).
Test results that used to take weeks can now be available within hours.
Dr. Alland believes the device will transform TB diagnostics.
“It brings the diagnostic laboratory to the patient’s bedside and provides results within hours. We are very excited and hopeful that this test will dramatically improve tuberculosis detection and treatment,” said Dr. Alland.
Health officials from Cepheid, the manufacturer of the device, believe the test will fill the need for accurate and rapid detection of tuberculosis, which is becoming increasingly acute. (ANI)
- WHO endorses new test for detecting TB in less than 2 hours - Dec 12, 2010
- New test top diagnoseTB proves effective, convenient - Sep 02, 2010
- 90-minute TB test not a game changer for India - Aug 29, 2011
- 'Time to scale up work on TB control' - Jan 24, 2012
- Central team to probe drug resistant TB cases in Mumbai - Jan 17, 2012
- WHO calls for dealing with multi-drug resistant microbes - Apr 07, 2011
- Awareness programmes mark World Tuberculosis Day in Delhi - Mar 24, 2011
- TB causing half million annual deaths in South-East Asia: WHO - Mar 22, 2012
- India, China account for 45 percent multi-drug resistant TB - Aug 27, 2010
- Cabinet approves scaling up services of management of drug resistant tuberculosis - Mar 03, 2011
- Berlin 2010: TB, HIV and Lung Health: From research and innovation to solutions - Nov 02, 2010
- Scientists find promising new TB vaccine candidate - Mar 19, 2011
- India battles staggering tuberculosis burden (March 24 is World TB Day) - Mar 23, 2011
- 36 mln people with TB cured, eight mln lives saved since 1995 - Dec 09, 2009
- Multi-drug resistant TB on the rise in Australia - Sep 20, 2009
Tags: alland, cepheid, diagnostic laboratory, diagnostic test, dr david, health officials, infectious disease, jersey medical school, marker, mdr tb, new jersey medical, new jersey medical school, rapid detection, resistance, scientist, strains, surrogate marker, tb test results, tuberculosis, umdnj