Novel discovery boosts chances of finding aliens: NASADecember 1st, 2010 - 1:22 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 1 (ANI): NASA scientists have made a major discovery that could boost the chance of finding extraterrestrial life on other worlds.
They have found microbes in a deadly poisonous arsenic lake deadly poisonous lake, reports the Sun.
Researchers, amazed that anything could thrive in the toxic liquid, said the microbes proved a second form of life started on Earth in environments previously thought too hostile.
It opens up the possibility that extraterrestrial aliens like the one from the 1982 movie can exist in the solar system.
Geobiologist Felisa Wolfe-Simon made the breakthrough discovery during two years, probing Mono Lake in California’s Yosemite National Park - which has one of the highest natural concentrations of arsenic on Earth.
She will be among NASA-backed experts explaining the findings on Thursday.
Others include ecologist James Elser, who researches the possibility of ET creatures on other planets. Scientists looking for life on Mars and Saturn’s largest moon Titan will also speak.
Basic forms of life found before all rely on phosphorous to exist.
“This is exciting. If these organisms use arsenic in their metabolism, it demonstrates that there are other forms of life to those we knew of,” said astrobiologist Dr Lewis Dartnell, of the Centre for Planetary Sciences, in London. (ANI)
- NASA discovery suggests aliens exist - even on Earth - Dec 02, 2010
- NASA Announces Existence Of Bacteria Thriving On Arsenic - Dec 03, 2010
- NASA Likely To Announce Discovery Of 'Alien' Bacteria - Dec 03, 2010
- NASA researchers discover arsenic-based life form on Earth - Dec 03, 2010
- Arsenic Bacteria Heralds New Era In Search For Life - Dec 05, 2010
- NASA Finds Traces Of Life In One Of Saturn's Moon, Reports Say - Dec 02, 2010
- Are aliens here on Earth? - Jan 25, 2010
- NASA Announces Press Meet To Discuss 'Extraterrestrial Life' - Dec 03, 2010
- Five places where life may exist in solar system - Mar 02, 2012
- NASA Observes Primitive Life On Second Largest Planet Of The Solar System - Jun 07, 2010
- Aliens exist on Saturn's moon: NASA - Jun 06, 2010
- NASA scientist finds 'worm-like alien life form in meteorite' - Mar 06, 2011
- Radiation-resisting hardy bugs may survive a million years on Mars - Nov 24, 2010
- Is Saturn's moon Titan home to some kind of exotic life form? - Jun 04, 2010
- Experts may reach bottom of Antarctic lake in 2014 - Feb 09, 2012
Tags: arsenic lake, astrobiologist, breakthrough discovery, dartnell, dr lewis, ecologist, extraterrestrial aliens, extraterrestrial life, felisa, james elser, life on mars, microbes, mono lake, moon titan, nasa, nasa scientists, planetary sciences, solar system, yosemite, yosemite national park