Nothing impossible if one is determined: CBSE topperMay 29th, 2012 - 3:49 pm ICT by IANS
Imphal, May 29 (IANS) Manipuri boy Mohammad Ismat, who scored the highest marks in this year’s All India Senior Secondary Certificate Examination (AISSCE), says the word impossible does not cross his mind.
“I have a strong conviction that everything is possible when a man is determined,” Ismat said Tuesday, a day after he scored 99 percent marks in the Class 12 science stream examination conducted by the Central Board of Secondary Examination (CBSE).
He secured 100 marks each in Mathematics, Chemistry, Home Science and Fine Arts, and 97 in Physics and 98 in English, scoring 495 out of 500.
“It is indeed great. I proved myself and confirmed that the northeast India has more such brilliant students. They sould be properly nourished,” the 21-year-old student of Manipur’s Zenith Academy said.
He noted his family’s poverty, and said: “After passing Class 10 examination, I planned to study in a good school in Imphal… but I could not, because of the financial difficulties faced by my family.”
Ismat, a Meitei Pangal (Manipuri Muslim), has now become the first student in the entire northeastern region to top the AISSCE examination.
A resident of Manipuri Muslim-dominated Lilong Haoreibi village in Thoubal district, Ismat is the only boy and the youngest of seven children of Mohammad Bashirur Rahman, a government primary school teacher.
The boy began his primary education in a local English medium school before switching over to a Kendriya Vidyalaya in Imphal where he studied up to Class 8. Later, he joined the Sainik School Imphal where he scored 94.2 percent marks in the Class 10 CBSE examination.
Expressing his gratitude for his school teachers, he said: “Sir S.M. Singh, the management secretary of Zenith Academy, accepted my request to (let me) study in the school at a minimum fee, and with his kind guidance and advice I have come out with flying colours.”
Besides scripting history in the entire northeast, Ismat is now looking forward to set another record in the civil services exams. “I want to be an IAS (Indian Administrative Service) officer.”
“I’m planning to study at St. Stephen’s College in New Delhi and work hard to top the civil services exams too,” said Ismat, who considers books his best friends.
Expressing happiness over his son’s achievement, an excited Bashirur Rahman said, “My happiness knew no bounds. My son Ismat has done it and I think he would definitely become a leader to guide thousands of poor students to become great personalities.”
The school — Zenith Academy — also went into celebrations over Ismat’s success.
- Nothing impossible if one is determined: CBSE topper (Lead) - May 29, 2012
- Nothing impossible for a determined man: CBSE topper (Second Lead) - May 29, 2012
- Students tense as CBSE exams begin - Mar 01, 2011
- CBSE results: Girls outperform boys; Chennai region tops (Roundup) - May 28, 2012
- Sharjah student tops CBSE results in Delhi region - May 28, 2012
- IITs agree to a compromise, but retain hold on test (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- CBSE toppers euphoric, credit parents and teachers - May 28, 2012
- Despite poverty, disability, these Bengal students shine - Jun 02, 2012
- Students rejoice, teachers caution on apex court ruling - Aug 10, 2011
- 'Delhi government schools performed best in CBSE exams' - May 28, 2012
- CBSE results: Girls outshine boys, Chennai tops (Second lead) - May 23, 2011
- CBSE board exams on; physics paper disappoints students (Lead) - Mar 01, 2011
- IITs agree to a compromise, but retain hold on test (Second Lead, correcting spelling) - Jun 28, 2012
- Hard work, dedication has paid off: CBSE class 12 topper - May 21, 2010
- 12-year-old Bihar boy clears Class 12 after cracking IIT-JEE - May 29, 2012
Tags: aissce, brilliant students, cbse examination, certificate examination, class 8, english medium school, flying colours, home science, imphal, ismat, kendriya vidyalaya, kind guidance, management secretary, northeast india, northeastern region, primary education, sainik school, science stream, secondary certificate, strong conviction