Northeast group welcomes decision on hostelsJune 3rd, 2011 - 10:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 3 (IANS) The North East Support Centre and Helpline, a NGO, Friday backed the proposal to set up two new hostels for northeastern women living in Delhi, saying “more such efforts are needed”.
“The helpline welcomes the decision for setting up two new hostels. Yet, it is too less compared to the migration from the region in the last six years,” said Madhu Chandra, founding director and group spokesperson.
The ministry for the Development of the Northeast Region (DoNER) Tuesday announced two hostels, with a capacity of 500 students each, to come up in Jasola in south Delhi and the North Campus in Delhi University.
While the hostel in Jasola would be for working women, the one in north campus will be for tribal girl students from the northeast.
According to a study conducted by the North East Support Centre and Helpline, Delhi was one of the most preferred destinations for those from the sprawling northeast of India.
In 2010, around 78 percent of migrants from the northeast regions in Delhi faced racial discrimination in different forms, the study said.
- Northeastern women harassed, discriminated against in Delhi: Report - Mar 08, 2011
- Ensure safety of northeasterns, Delhi Police urged - Nov 17, 2011
- NEC to construct hostel for northeast students in Bangalore - Sep 03, 2012
- Northeast cultural centre to be set up in Delhi - Jun 02, 2011
- New northeast students stare at prejudice in Delhi - Jul 08, 2010
- Chidambaram in Aizawl, to discuss Reang issue - Apr 04, 2012
- '14 million job seekers to move out of northeast by 2021' - Jan 23, 2012
- Northeastern girl molested in Delhi, two detained - Oct 18, 2011
- Some martyrs from northeast ignored by history books: Handique - Sep 14, 2010
- Over Rs.79 lakh for teaching northeast youth managerial skills - May 26, 2011
- Chidambaram to convince Reang refugees to return home - Feb 13, 2012
- Northeast hopes to draw much business from Mumbai summit - Jan 13, 2011
- Rs 1,550 crore proposed for Northeast infrastructure development - Mar 04, 2011
- Act now, make capital safe for northeast women: Activists - Nov 25, 2010
- Over 250 northeast youths get capacity building training - Jan 18, 2012
Tags: chandra, delhi university, doner, girl students, hostel, hostels, june 3, madhu, migrants, New Delhi, ngo, northeast group, northeast regions, northeastern women, preferred destinations, racial discrimination, south delhi, spokesperson, tribal girl, working women