‘Nightmare scenario’ as huge data theft hits 70 m Sony PlayStation usersApril 27th, 2011 - 1:06 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 27 (ANI): In one of the biggest ever cases of data theft, thepersonal data of a staggering70 millionPlayStation Network and Qriocity usershave been stolen by hackers.
Sony also admitted that the hackers might have gained access to people’s credit card details, reports the Telegraph.
PlayStation Network members have also endured a week without online gaming access after the Japanese giant pulled the plug on the service last Wednesday and has spent the past week investigating the breach.
Experts described the security breach as a “nightmare” scenario, which could leave millions of PlayStation users open to identity and credit card fraud.
The theft is particularly worrying due to the variety of information stolen and because many people use the same passwords for all their online services such as email, internet shopping and online bank accounts.
It also comes as an embarrassment to Sony and could deal a severe blow if customers lose confidence in its security systems. (ANI)
- Hackers again target Sony, compromise more than 93,000 accounts - Oct 13, 2011
- Sony to restore PlayStation network in Japan - Jul 05, 2011
- Sony offers free 30 days membership because of hack attack - May 03, 2011
- Sony says another 25m Playstation users may have been hacked - May 03, 2011
- Play Station users needn't worry as Sony insures data for $1 million - May 09, 2011
- Facebook hires Sony hacker - Jun 30, 2011
- Porn website hacked, 72,000 usernames stolen - Mar 14, 2012
- Chinese warned against using web in public places - Mar 01, 2012
- Unprecedented cyber attack on Canada linked to China - Feb 17, 2011
- Sony announces $3.1 billion annual loss - May 27, 2011
- Playstation Plus Unveiled At E3 By Sony - Jun 16, 2010
- PS3 Update Unveiled By Sony, Aimed At Curbing Piracy - Jan 27, 2011
- Sneaky cyber crooks hack Simon Cowell's computer network - May 02, 2011
- Identity theft at all-time high: British officials - Jul 24, 2012
- Hulu Plus All Set to Launch on PS3 - Nov 06, 2010
Tags: confidence, credit card details, credit card fraud, embarrassment, hackers, hits 70, internet shopping, japanese giant, london, network members, nightmare scenario, passwords, playstation, security breach, security systems, sony, sony playstation, telegraph