New Zealand hiker walks two days with broken ankleApril 1st, 2009 - 11:19 am ICT by IANS
Wellington, April 1 (DPA) A seriously injured hiker spent two days dragging himself three kilometres down a New Zealand glacier with a suspected broken ankle and wrist after falling down a cliff in the Southern Alps, news reports said Wednesday.
Matthews Briggs, 33, had lain injured for a week hoping that friends would raise the alarm and searchers would find him. But he eventually set off for a mountaineers’ hut, thinking: “If I don’t get out of here, I’m going to die here”, the Dominion Post reported.
In the isolated hut, Briggs found two hunters, who then walked for 13 hours to raise the alarm, and a rescue helicopter lifted him to hospital Tuesday.
One of the hunters, Barry Sharplin, 21, said that Briggs told them he had hobbled, crawled and slid his way to the hut, rationing the food he had and stopping at night to bathe his wounds in a mixture of salt and water.
In addition to his suspected fractures, Briggs had bone-deep cuts to his leg, back and buttocks, but Stu Drake, a paramedic on the helicopter, said: “He refused pain relief. We carry morphine, but he was just happy to get out of there. He was an extremely capable and tough sort of character.”
English-born Briggs, an experienced hiker, was reprimanded by police for breaking a cardinal rule of the mountains - not telling people exactly where he was going.
Police said they wasted hours searching for his vehicle and then him, after Briggs was reported overdue from a planned weekend away with his dog.
He reportedly was carrying a locator beacon but lost it when he fell down a five-metre cliff March 20.
- Drake Denies Lil Wayne Punching Rumors - Nov 13, 2010
- Experienced Climber Dies In Fall At Mount Rainier - Jul 29, 2010
- Drake gets targeted in a concert scam - Apr 07, 2011
- Crashed MiG's one engine found, no trace of pilot - Oct 27, 2011
- Four dead in Israeli military helicopter crash - Jul 27, 2010
- Rihanna to rekindle romance with Drake - Jul 15, 2012
- Parker to sue nightclub - Jun 23, 2012
- Drake dating Ora? - Apr 29, 2012
- Man survives 1,000-ft mountain fall - Jan 31, 2011
- TV presenter Jack Hanna wards off a grizzly bear with pepper spray - Jul 28, 2010
- Muhammad Ali wants Iran to release the hikers - May 25, 2011
- Drake refuses to co-operate in brawl issue - Jun 19, 2012
- Daniel McDaniels Shoots His Own Face While Loading Rifle Own - Oct 05, 2010
- Blind daredevil to take on English Channel swim - May 01, 2012
- Hiker falls into Mt. St. Helens crater - Feb 17, 2010
Tags: april 1, briggs, broken ankle, buttocks, cardinal rule, deep cuts, dominion post, drake, fractures, kilometres, locator beacon, morphine, news reports, pain relief, paramedic, rescue helicopter, salt and water, southern alps, stu, zealand glacier