New vaccine to protect kids against meningitis B may be available by 2011February 11th, 2009 - 4:36 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 11 (ANI): A new vaccine to protect kids against meningitis B may be available by 2011, according to researchers.
Although vaccines are available for pneumococcal meningitis and the C and Hib types, scientists have struggled to find an effective vaccine for meningococcus B, reports Times Online.
Now, pharmaceutical company Novartis has developed a meningococcus B vaccine, which is the frontrunner in the race to provide immunisation against the infection.
The jab is currently in the final stages of testing at the University of Oxford.
It is the first of its kind to be developed after the entire genome of a deadly bacteria was sequenced.
Rino Rappuoli, of Novartis, said the product had been developed after Craig Venter, the pioneer of human genome sequencing, published the genetic structure of meningococcus B in 2000.
This offered researchers with a lot of information about potential targets for a vaccine, or antigens, which help the body to fight off infection. (ANI)
- Vaccine to tackle meningitis 'just a year away' - Dec 24, 2010
- Vaccine for deadly meningitis strain in offing - Dec 26, 2010
- New meningitis vaccine could save thousands - Jun 10, 2011
- Hib vaccine: Are press releases telling whole truth? - Apr 15, 2010
- Scientists close to finding meningococcal B shot - May 08, 2012
- Pneumococcal disease kills an Indian child every four minutes - Sep 11, 2009
- Pune firm slashes pentavalent vaccine prices 60 percent - Jun 13, 2011
- Nasal spray vaccine for meningitis on the anvil - Jul 27, 2010
- New WHO data sheds light on two leading causes of pneumonia - Sep 12, 2009
- Scientists assemble genome from DNA of single bug - Sep 19, 2011
- New compound boosts efficacy of HIV, flu vaccine - Aug 27, 2012
- Anthrax shot protects simians from lethal infection - Jan 13, 2012
- First humans out of Africa once shrank to 1,000: Study - Jul 19, 2011
- Patent-run for synthetic life form could be 'damaging', says Brit scientist - May 25, 2010
- New vaccine against pneumonia 'to save thousands of lives' - Jan 25, 2011
Tags: antigens, craig venter, deadly bacteria, frontrunner, genetic structure, hib, human genome, jab, london feb, meningitis, meningococcus, novartis, pharmaceutical company, pioneer, scientists, targets, university of oxford, vaccines