New system turns canines into remotely guided ’super dogs’January 23rd, 2011 - 2:52 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Jan 23 (ANI): Auburn University researchers have developed a new system that would turn a canines into remotely guided ’super dogs’ that can take on risky tasks.
David M. Bevly, an associate professor of mechanical engineering at Auburn University and his team have created an external, real-time navigation system for trained dogs, reports ABC News.
They designed a custom harness equipped with GPS, sensors, a processor and a radio modem that connects wirelessly to a computer system. The pack vibrates slightly on the left or right side and emits different tones to direct the dog.
A trained yellow lab named Major tested the system at the university’s Canine Detection Research Institute. The results showed Major had a high success rate when directed to points several hundred meters apart.
In the trials, the dog followed directions accurately 80 percent of the time, and the computer issued correct commands 99 percent of the time.
Next, the team is looking at guiding a dog through more complex tasks, and at greater distances.
“We’re looking at longer range guidance, where you might need a dog to go three or four miles,” said Bevly.
The system has major benefits for military, security, and law enforcement operations.
The results were published in the journal Personal Ubiquitous Computing. (ANI)
- Dogs Guided Remotely Can Perform Risky Jobs, Claims New Study - Jan 20, 2011
- 'Superdog' To Enable Dogs To Be Guided Remotely To Undertake Risky And Dicey Tasks - Jan 20, 2011
- Vibrations to help in energy harvesting - May 07, 2012
- GPS technology helps improve weather forecasts - Jun 14, 2012
- Dogs pay close attention to human signals - May 06, 2012
- Fruit fly nervous system 'could pave way for wireless sensor networks' - Jan 14, 2011
- 'Conditioning brain could curb impulsiveness' - Jun 15, 2012
- Seeing brain activity helps people improve their ability to control thoughts - Apr 09, 2011
- Now, an iPhone app that can measure pollutants in air - Sep 21, 2010
- Device converts footsteps into energy - Sep 15, 2011
- Bigger dogs may be smarter than their smaller counterparts - Aug 28, 2010
- Emering technologies conference at Bangalore from March 22 - Mar 13, 2011
- Microsoft India employees display innovative skills - May 17, 2012
- Now a cancer detecting kit on the anvil - Feb 18, 2010
- Scientists develop tool to step up software security - Jul 23, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,