New species of chameleon discovered in TanzaniaNovember 24th, 2009 - 1:17 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, November 24 (ANI): A team of scientists has discovered a new species of chameleon in Tanzania.
Dr Andrew Marshall, from the Environment Department at the University of York, first spotted the animal while surveying monkeys in the Magombera Forest when he disturbed a twig snake eating one.
The specimen was collected, tested and compared to two others found by scientists in the same area and has now been named Kinyongia magomberae.
According to Dr Marshall, “Discovering a new species is a rare event so to be involved in the identification and naming of this animal is very exciting.”
“Chameleon species tend to be focused in small areas and, unfortunately, the habitat this one depends on, the Magombera Forest, is under threat. Hopefully this discovery will support efforts to provide this area and others like it with greater protection,” he said.
Dr Marshall, who is also Director of Conservation Science at the Flamingo Land theme park and zoo, is leading a research project investigating changes in the Magombera Forest.
The forest is an important resource for people in the area and home to wildlife, including endangered red colobus monkeys.
The project combines research into the biology of the forest with education for local people on how to manage it in a more sustainable way.
The ultimate aim is to develop protected status for the forest and find alternative ways of meeting the needs of local communities. (ANI)
- Monkeys more sensitive to damage to their habitat than previously thought - Feb 22, 2010
- New spider with fearsome claws found in US cave - Aug 18, 2012
- Foxes Kill Penguins at London Zoo - Oct 17, 2010
- Rare, vine-swinging Tarzan Chameleon found in Tarzanville - Sep 03, 2010
- New frog species found in New York - Mar 18, 2012
- 10 species disappear from Mexican forests - Apr 21, 2011
- Birds, animals up for adoption in Haryana - Jan 06, 2011
- New Species Of Titi Monkeys Found In Colombian Jungle - Aug 16, 2010
- Giant Python Caught in Florida - Aug 14, 2012
- New snub-nosed monkey found in Northern Myanmar - Oct 27, 2010
- Scientists discover a hairy fly - ‘Mormotomyia Hirsuta’ in Kenya - Dec 09, 2010
- 'Punish Thane man for illegally possessing snakes' - Apr 11, 2012
- New species of blind snake found in Brazil - Aug 02, 2012
- New, exotic African mistletoe discovered just in time for Christmas - Dec 20, 2010
- Egyptian cobra escapes from Bronx zoo - Mar 29, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,