New online tool predicts probability of death in patients after strokeFebruary 11th, 2011 - 6:10 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb 11 (ANI): Scientists have developed a new tool that will help doctors predict the probability of death in patients after an ischemic stroke.
The study, conducted by researchers at St. Michael’s Hospital and the Institute for Clinical and Evaluative Sciences (ICES) in Toronto, found that the tool determined the likelihood of death in stroke patients 30 days and one year after an ischemic stroke.
An ischemic stroke, the most common type of stroke, occurs when an artery to the brain is blocked.
The tool, available online for doctors at http://www.sorcan.ca/iscore/, is the first to use risk factors such as heart disease, diabetes, cancer and kidney disease to estimate the probability of death.
The study examined 12,262 patients who visited an Ontario hospital from 2003 to 2008 and suffered an ischemic stroke.
Using the new tool, researchers determined the death rate 30 days and one year after an ischemic stroke and compared the findings with data from the Ontario Stroke Audit to validate the results.
Researchers found the tool was accurate and that risk factors including heart disease, heart failure, cancer, dementia and a history of atrial fibrillation, an irregular heartbeat, were associated with a higher probability of death.
The findings are being presented at the International Stroke Conference in Los Angeles also published in the journal Circulation. (ANI)
- Tool predicts death probability from stroke - Feb 11, 2011
- Irregular heart beat plus stroke may increase dementia risk - Mar 08, 2011
- Arthritis invites higher risk of heart attacks - Mar 09, 2012
- Measuring oxidative stress may help predict atrial fibrillation risk - Apr 05, 2011
- Now, a technique to regularise abnormal heartbeats - Sep 09, 2012
- Healthy lifestyles could halve cases of atrial fibrillation - Mar 29, 2011
- Diabetes linked to irregular heartbeat - Apr 23, 2010
- Now, a device to shield cardiac patients from stroke - Mar 28, 2012
- Moderate-to-heavy alcohol intake may increase risk of abnormal heart rhythm - Feb 15, 2011
- Two new drugs can slash stroke risk - Jan 11, 2011
- Math model to monitor heartbeat health - Feb 19, 2012
- Are erratic heartbeats tied to unexplained strokes? - Feb 03, 2012
- Delayed-enhancement MRI may predict, prevent strokes - Feb 09, 2011
- Cardiac procedure cuts risk of Alzheimer's disease and stroke - May 14, 2010
- Alcohol can trigger dangerous palpitations - Jun 04, 2012
Tags: atrial fibrillation, death rate, dementia, disease diabetes, evaluative sciences, heart disease, heart failure, international stroke conference, irregular heartbeat, ischemic stroke, iscore, journal circulation, kidney disease, likelihood, online tool, ontario hospital, probability, risk factors, s hospital, stroke patients