New MRSA strain found on Isle of ManDecember 25th, 2010 - 12:42 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 25 (ANI): A new strain of the superbug Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) that predominately affects young, fit and healthy people has been detected on the Isle of Man.
The island’s Department of Health confirmed a small number of cases of a bacterium called MRSA USA 300.
The department added it was mainly transmitted at sports centres, gyms, swimming pools and spas, was resistant to many antibiotics and could cause serious infection.
‘Bacteria are particularly good at adapting to their environment and through mutations in their DNA, which they are able to share with other bacteria, they can become resistant to antibiotics that are being utilised in healthcare environments,” the Telegraph quoted Katie Laird of the Leicester’s De Montfort University, as saying.
‘The new antibiotic resistant strain of MRSA USA 300 that has been isolated in the Isle of Man is unusual in that it affects the young, fit and healthy and is associated with sporting facilities rather than the hospital environment,” said Laird. (ANI)
- Immunity boosting vitamin can fight superbugs - Aug 28, 2012
- Antibiotics from frog skin may help fight superbugs - Aug 27, 2010
- Scientists one step closer to developing vaccine for MRSA - Jan 17, 2011
- Scientists crack secret of superbug's resistance - Apr 29, 2011
- Proper care, not type on antibiotic, key to healing kids' skin wounds - Feb 21, 2011
- Harvard team crack superbugs' genetic code - May 23, 2012
- Now, 'artificial nose' to sniff out bacterial infections! - Apr 28, 2011
- MRSA danger in gyms may be exaggerated - Mar 04, 2011
- Chemical compounds in trees can fight deadly MRSA - Feb 23, 2011
- Nanoparticles can heal abscesses - Dec 26, 2009
- Cranberry juice can block Staph infections - Sep 02, 2010
- 'Natural' coating for surgical equipment that kills MRSA on contact - Aug 17, 2010
- Lifeline for 'antibiotic of last resort' unveiled - Apr 12, 2010
- Now, computer program that can predict bacteria's moves - Jul 20, 2010
- Immune system's strong response to toxins can makes us ill - Nov 29, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,