New finding paves way for easy, accurate test to detect pre-diabetesJuly 9th, 2010 - 11:57 am ICT by ANI
Washington, July 9 (ANI): A new discovery could lead to a simple, routine test for detecting the subtle onset of diabetes, say scientists.
Johns Hopkins scientists discovered a dramatic increase of an easy-to-detect enzyme in the red blood cells of people with diabetes and pre-diabetes - up to two to three times higher in people with diabetes and pre-diabetes than in those with no disease.
“That’s a big difference, especially in an enzyme that’s as tightly regulated as this one is,” says Gerald Hart, Ph.D., the DeLamar Professor and director of biological chemistry at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.
Hart speculates that in diabetes and pre-diabetes, it’s not a good thing for the increased amount of sugar to be attached to proteins, so the cell is responding by elevating the enzyme that gets rid of it.
He added that his team’s pilot studies encourage further investigation of a method that potentially could fill the void that currently exists for an easy, accurate routine test for pre-diabetes. (ANI)
- Routine blood test may accurately identify pre-diabetics - Jan 07, 2011
- What babies eat determines risk of obesity - Aug 31, 2012
- Sugar plays vital role in cell division - Feb 06, 2010
- Studying sugars role in cells working may pave way for new therapies - Oct 21, 2008
- Reliable test to spot pre-diabetes developed - Sep 02, 2008
- New treatment shows promise in the fight against breast cancer - Mar 30, 2011
- Compound to starve cancers of sugar-based building blocks found - Nov 19, 2010
- New therapeutic target for some breast cancers discovered - Oct 05, 2010
- 'Key player' that facilitates Parkinson's disease found - Mar 04, 2011
- New guidelines urge blood test that gives blood sugar average for diagnosis - Dec 30, 2009
- Almonds 'could help prevent diabetes, heart disease' - Dec 30, 2010
- 'Survival protein' can help treat neuro-disorders - May 24, 2011
- Weight loss lowers diabetics' risk of heart attacks - May 04, 2012
- Sensor detects glucose in diabetics' saliva, tears - Aug 24, 2012
- Exercise pill for osteoporosis patients on the way - Apr 08, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,