New drug may fight ovarian cancerJune 7th, 2010 - 2:19 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 7 (ANI): A new drug has offered fresh hope to ovarian cancer sufferers.
The drug Avastin can stop the spread of the disease for six months in patients whose cancer has returned.
In a trial, when patients were given it with chemotherapy and for 15 months after treatment, it stalled the cancer for six months longer than when only chemotherapy was administered.
The women saw their survival rate jump from 12 months with only chemotherapy to 18 months.
Women treated with only chemotherapy showed signs of the cancer worsening after 10 months but this jumped to 14 months with the addition of Avastin.
“We know how important it is for the success of subsequent treatment that we keep ovarian cancer under control for as long as possible after initial chemotherapy,” the Daily Express quoted oncology expert Professor Chris Poole, of University Hospital Coventry, as saying.
The results were presented to the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ANI)
- Cancer drug could combat ovarian tumours - Oct 12, 2010
- Drug discovery combats ovarian cancer - Jun 05, 2011
- Targeted cancer drug more effective after first-line treatment - Feb 28, 2011
- Avastin helps women who are suffering from ovarian cancer - Oct 12, 2010
- Smoking linked to ovarian cancer? - Sep 12, 2012
- New drug shows promise against platinum resistant ovarian cancer - Oct 10, 2010
- New procedure busts deadly brain tumour cells - Feb 06, 2012
- New therapy shows promising result for HER2-positive metastatic disease - Oct 09, 2010
- Chemo-radiotherapy prevents bladder cancer recurrences - Oct 26, 2010
- India witnessing rise in pancreatic cancer, say doctors - Oct 06, 2011
- 'Smart' new drug shows promise in ovarian cancer - Nov 09, 2010
- NewGen radiation treatment effective in advanced head and neck cancer - Mar 05, 2011
- Vaccine extends life of brain cancer patients - Apr 19, 2012
- New drug shows promise against ovarian and breast cancer - Aug 13, 2010
- New 'chemo bomb' is more effective in cancer treatment - May 22, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,