New Delhi politicos to feast on Bihar fruitsJune 3rd, 2011 - 3:00 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, June 3 (IANS) The who’s who of the political circles in Delhi, including the president, will feast on summer fruits from Bihar orchards. The Nitish Kumar-led Bihar government has dispatched gifts of luscious fruits for selected Delhi VIPs.
“Well decorated packets of ‘Shahi’ litchis and special ‘Zardalu’ mangoes were dispatched for New Delhi by train Thursday from Muzaffarpur and Bhagalpur. Officials of the Bihar Bhavan in New Delhi will deliver the gift packets VIPs, including President Pratibha Patil and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh,” an official in the Chief Minister’s Office told IANS here Friday.
Officials said that Zardalu mangoes from Bhagalpur orchards and Shahi litchis from orchards in Muzaffarpur are known for their rare taste and delicate flavour. But these fruits are hardly marketed within and outside the country. This is an attempt to promote them, a government official said.
“It will boost the state’s image as well as promote agri-products of the state,” he said.
The state government has prepared a list of over 400 important people in New Delhi who will receive the gifts, officials said.
Besides Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, Home Minister P. Chidambaram and Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar, other central ministers, senior diplomats of many embassies, top bureaucrats and Supreme Court judges will also receive the baskets of these fruits.
The Nitish Kumar government has been sending these fruits as gifts to VIPs in New Delhi since the last five years in order to promote Bihar’s image - and obviously to sweeten the state’s relations with the centre.
- Bihar to gift sweet fruits to Delhi VIPs - May 25, 2010
- Bihar brand to be promoted through its fruits - Jun 02, 2008
- Bihar's litchis are food for wine - Apr 19, 2010
- Bihar to promote litchi liquor - Dec 05, 2009
- Fickle weather can take juice out of litchi this season - Apr 29, 2012
- United Breweries to make wine out of litchis in Bihar - Apr 30, 2010
- The beer hug: Bihar emerging as brewery hub - Jan 16, 2012
- Seeking second Green Revolution, Bihar turns to organic farming (Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
- World Bank to fund marketing of Bihar's Shahi litchis - Jun 05, 2010
- Bihar's Shahi Litchi to hit South Indian markets this month - May 10, 2010
- Bihar ministers, legislator donate salary for green cause - Sep 06, 2011
- A fitting gift for Bihar's 'green' daughters - May 08, 2011
- After politicians, officials to plant trees in Bihar - Sep 12, 2011
- Nitish Kumar ties rakhi to a tree - Aug 13, 2011
- Nitish Kumar gives month's salary for green Bihar drive - Sep 03, 2011
Tags: agri products, agriculture minister, bhagalpur, delicate flavour, finance minister, home minister, luscious fruits, mangoes, manmohan singh, muzaffarpur, nitish kumar, p chidambaram, political circles, pranab mukherjee, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rare taste, sharad pawar, summer fruits, supreme court judges