New approach can warn allergy-sufferers about kinds of airborne pollen in real-timeDecember 22nd, 2008 - 5:42 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, December 22 (ANI): German researchers have developed a breakthrough technology that may make life easier people who are allergic to plant pollen.
Writing about their work in the semi-monthly journal ACS” Analytical Chemistry, the researchers highlight the fact that current pollen counts and allergy warnings are based on visual identification of the specific kind of pollen by examining pollen grains under a microscope.
Dr. Janina Kneipp, who led the study at the Humboldt University of Berlin, says that that procedure takes time and thus makes it impossible for allergy-sufferers to know the kinds of pollen that are airborne on an hour-by-hour basis.
She said that a common laboratory procedure could help identify chemical structures in pollen grains that distinguish oak and maple pollen, for instance, from maple and other kinds.
She revealed that her team had obtained such chemical “signatures” for 15 different kinds of tree pollen with the procedure, termed Raman spectroscopy.
The researcher said that it could provide the basis for a real-time pollen detection and warning system to help allergy sufferers. (ANI)
- Hay fever worse in spring than summer - Jan 01, 2012
- Cell component that triggers cat allergy identified - Mar 10, 2011
- Russia poplars bring money - and masks - to Kashmir - May 27, 2011
- Is climate change causing hay fever to stay longer? - Mar 02, 2010
- Soaring Pollen Level Hits Record Numbers - Apr 11, 2010
- Myths related to spring allergies busted - Feb 27, 2011
- Soon, vaccine to cure asthma brought on by house dust mite allergies - Mar 22, 2011
- Climate Change Could Heighten The Cost Of American Allergies - Apr 15, 2010
- Food allergies more likely to afflict autumn babies - Oct 20, 2010
- Stress-free babies develop fewer allergies - Dec 14, 2011
- Allergy sufferers less likely to develop cancer - May 24, 2010
- First-born more likely to suffer from allergies - Mar 21, 2011
- Childhood eczema ups adult allergic asthma risk nine fold - Apr 16, 2011
- Scientists conduct 'post-mortem of comet' to find origins of solar system - May 29, 2010
- Climate Change Might Increase Allergy Cost, Reports Say - Apr 15, 2010
Tags: airborne pollen, allergy sufferers, allergy warnings, analytical chemistry, breakthrough technology, chemical signatures, chemical structures, german researchers, humboldt university of berlin, janina, kneipp, laboratory procedure, plant pollen, pollen counts, pollen grains, spectroscopy, time washington, tree pollen, university of berlin, warning system