NASA’s Messenger set to solve tantalizing mysteries about MercuryMarch 16th, 2011 - 4:44 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Mar 16 (ANI): NASA’s MESSENGER spacecraft, launched in 2004, is scheduled to enter into Mercury’s orbit on March 17 after a harrowing 4.7 billion mile journey that involved 15 loops around the Sun.
“In 2004, this milestone seemed like it was a long, long way away,” said Senior Research Associate William McClintock, a mission co-investigator from CU-Boulder’s Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics.
“But here we are at last, poised to help solve some of the many tantalizing mysteries about Mercury.”
The smallest of the solar system’s four rocky planets, Mercury is about two-thirds of the way nearer to the Sun than Earth and has been visited by only one other spacecraft, NASA’s Mariner 10, in 1974 and 1975.
CU-Boulder scientists say learning what makes the hot, rocky planet tick will help them better understand the formation and evolution of planetary systems.
The refrigerator-sized spacecraft is carrying seven instruments - a camera, a magnetometer, an altimeter and four spectrometers.
Designed and built by CU-Boulder’s LASP, the Mercury Atmospheric and Surface Composition Spectrometer, or MASCS, is a power-packed, 7-pound instrument that will make measurements of Mercury’s surface and its tenuous atmosphere, called the exosphere. (ANI)
- NASAs Messenger spacecraft set for second flyby of Mercury on October 6 - Oct 01, 2008
- NASAs MESSENGER mission to flyby Mercury on Jan 14 - Jan 11, 2008
- Mercury is more dynamic than scientists first suspected - May 01, 2009
- Violent Magnetic Storms Discovered In Mercury - Jul 18, 2010
- NASA's Messenger probe reveals new information about Mercury - Jul 16, 2010
- NASA's Messenger spacecraft prepares for final pass by Mercury on September 29 - Sep 24, 2009
- NASA's Messenger fetches first orbital photo of Mercury - Mar 30, 2011
- NASA's MESSENGER set to orbit Mercury - Mar 09, 2011
- NASA spacecraft becomes first to enter Mercury orbit - Mar 18, 2011
- NASA's Mars rover begins research in space - Dec 14, 2011
- NASA photographs craters that resemble Mickey Mouse on Mercury - Jun 18, 2012
- How variations in Sun's energy contribute to climate change - Jan 15, 2011
- New device unveils more mysteries about Maritan atmosphere - Oct 15, 2010
- NASA: Mercury is home to violent magnetic storms - Jul 18, 2010
- Mars rover begins space research - Dec 14, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,