Nasal congestion ‘can be a sign of severe asthma’December 21st, 2010 - 1:42 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Dec 21 (ANI): A new study has suggested that nasal congestion can be a sign of severe asthma.
This means that healthcare professionals should be extra vigilant when it comes to nasal complaints.
Furthermore, more severe asthma appears to be more common than previously thought, reveals a study from the Sahlgrenska Academy’s Krefting Research Centre.
The population study included 30,000 randomly selected participants from the west of Sweden and asked questions about different aspects of health.
“This is the first time that the prevalence of severe asthma has been estimated in a population study, documenting that approximately 2pc of the population in the West Sweden is showing signs of severe asthma,” said Jan Lotvall, one of the authors of the study and professor at the Sahlgrenska Academy’s Krefting Research Centre.
“This argues that more severe forms of asthma are far more common than previously believed, and that healthcare professionals should pay extra attention to patients with such symptoms.
“We also found that more pronounced nasal symptoms, such as chronic rhinosinusitis, in other words nasal congestion and a runny nose for a long period of time, can be linked to more severe asthma.”
Lotvall suggests that patients who report nasal complaints, perhaps together with minor symptoms from the lower respiratory tract, such as wheezing, shortness of breath during physical effort, and night-time awakings because of breathing problems - should be investigated for asthma.
The study has been published in the online scientific journal Respiratory Research. (ANI)
- Hypnosis effective in treating irritable bowels - Apr 03, 2012
- Gastric bug H. pylori protects against asthma - Jul 03, 2011
- Exposure to PCBs worsens asthma symptoms - Sep 02, 2012
- Humidity aggravates nasal congestion - Oct 17, 2011
- Asthmatic kids experience premature loss of lung function later in life - Jan 19, 2011
- Breast-feeding babies staves off asthma risk - Jul 22, 2011
- Allergy shots beneficial for some asthmatics, risky for others - Aug 09, 2010
- Aerobic exercise may improve asthma symptoms - Aug 03, 2010
- Caesarean babies have higher risk of asthma - Jan 11, 2012
- Poor Vit D levels in newborns up risk of respiratory infections - Dec 27, 2010
- Breakthrough in asthma research - Sep 19, 2012
- Chronic rhinosinusitis patients prone to other chronic illnesses too - Oct 05, 2009
- Exercise as good as drugs in staving off migraines - Oct 11, 2011
- Once-a-day asthma pill 'more effective than inhaler' - May 05, 2011
- Vapor rub effective for treating kids with cough and congestion - Nov 08, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,