NASA sets launch date for space shuttle Discovery mission - Feb 24February 19th, 2011 - 12:07 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb 19 (ANI): NASA has announced the launch of space shuttle Discovery yet again - the shuttle will begin an 11-day mission to the International Space Station with a launch at 4:50 p.m. EST on Thursday, Feb. 24, from NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida.
Senior NASA and contractor managers said the shuttle and station’s equipment, support systems and personnel are ready.
The six astronauts for the mission will deliver the Permanent Multipurpose Module (PMM) to the station. Experiments in such fields as fluid physics, materials science, biology and biotechnology may be conducted inside the module.
The PMM will also carry Robonaut 2, the first human-like robot in space, which will reside permanently in space.
The flight will also deliver critical spare parts and the Express Logistics Carrier, an external platform that holds large equipment.
STS-133 Commander Steve Lindsey and his crew are scheduled to arrive at Kennedy on Sunday, Feb. 20, for final launch preparations. Joining Lindsey are Pilot Eric Boe and Mission Specialists Alvin Drew, Steve Bowen, Michael Barratt and Nicole Stott. Bowen and Drew will conduct two spacewalks to install new components and perform maintenance.
STS-133 is the first mission planned for 2011. It is Discovery’s 39th flight and 35th shuttle mission to the station. (ANI)
- Shuttle Discovery heads to International Space Station on its final mission - Feb 25, 2011
- Shuttle Discovery back to Earth post 13-day final mission - Mar 10, 2011
- Space shuttle Discovery lands on Earth after final mission - Mar 10, 2011
- NASA to launch shuttle Discovery Feb 24 - Feb 19, 2011
- Launch of space shuttle Discovery postponed - Nov 06, 2010
- Space shuttle Discovery lifts off for final voyage - Feb 25, 2011
- Space Shuttle Discovery waits for its final mission - Sep 22, 2010
- Discovery's last mission extended by a day - Mar 04, 2011
- NASA final shuttle launch scheduled for July 8 - May 21, 2011
- Atlantis' landing ends final mission after 30 years of space shuttle era - Jul 21, 2011
- Boeing helps prepare space shuttle Discovery's final payload - Nov 03, 2010
- NASA's space shuttle Endeavour ends final mission - Jun 01, 2011
- NASA invites 150 Twitter followers to Endeavour launch - Apr 26, 2011
- US shuttle Atlantis lifts off for final journey - May 15, 2010
- Shuttle Atlantis returns safely to end its last mission - May 26, 2010
Tags: astronauts, boe, commander steve, discovery mission, fluid physics, international space station, kennedy space center, launch, materials science, michael barratt, mission specialists, nasa, pmm, science biology, shuttle mission, space shuttle discovery, spacewalks, steve bowen, steve lindsey, stott