NASA selects June 13 as lunch date for space shuttle EndeavourJune 4th, 2009 - 1:29 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, June 4 (ANI): NASA managers have completed a review of space shuttle Endeavour’s readiness for flight and selected June 13 as the official launch date for the STS-127 mission to the International Space Station (ISS).
Commander Mark Polansky and his six crewmates are scheduled to lift off at 7:17 a.m. EDT from NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida.
Endeavour’s launch date was announced following a daylong Flight Readiness Review at Kennedy.
During the meeting, top NASA and contractor managers assessed the risks associated with the mission and determined the shuttle’s equipment, support systems and procedures are ready for flight.
The 16-day mission will feature five space walks and complete construction of the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency’s Kibo laboratory.
Astronauts will attach a platform to the outside of the Japanese module that will allow experiments to be exposed to space.
The STS-127 crew members are Polansky, Pilot Doug Hurley and Mission Specialists Dave Wolf, Christopher Cassidy, Tom Marshburn, Tim Kopra and Canadian Space Agency astronaut Julie Payette.
Kopra will join the space station crew and replace Japanese astronaut Koichi Wakata. Wakata will return to Earth on Endeavour to conclude a three-month stay at the station. (ANI)
- NASA's space shuttle Endeavour launches to complete Japanese module - Jul 16, 2009
- Space shuttle Endeavour successfully returns to Earth - Aug 01, 2009
- NASA delays Endeavour launch by 24 hours - Jul 12, 2009
- NASA final shuttle launch scheduled for July 8 - May 21, 2011
- Space shuttle Endeavour prepares to head home - Jul 29, 2009
- NASA sets space shuttle Endeavour's final launch for April 29 - Apr 20, 2011
- Space shuttle Endeavour headed home (Lead) - Jul 29, 2009
- NASA's space shuttle Endeavour ends final mission - Jun 01, 2011
- Endeavour returns to Earth after 17-day mission - Jul 31, 2009
- Shuttle Discovery heads to International Space Station on its final mission - Feb 25, 2011
- Astronauts install porch on ISS - Jul 19, 2009
- NASA sets launch date for space shuttle Discovery mission - Feb 24 - Feb 19, 2011
- Japan's robotic arm used for first time on space station - Jul 24, 2009
- NASA invites 150 Twitter followers to Endeavour launch - Apr 26, 2011
- NASA shuttle commander to tweet from space! - May 10, 2009
Tags: astronaut julie payette, canadian space agency, christopher cassidy, commander mark polansky, dave wolf, doug hurley, flight readiness, international space station, japanese astronaut, japanese module, kennedy space center, kibo, kopra, mission specialists, nasa managers, space agency astronaut, space shuttle endeavour, space station crew, space station iss, space walks