NASA robot on Mars beams back peculiarly life-like imageJanuary 23rd, 2008 - 1:28 pm ICT by admin
London, January 23 (ANI): A peculiarly life-like image beamed back to earth by one of their two robot rovers on Mars has puzzled NASA scientists.
The twin vehicles - Spirit and Opportunityare on a four-year mission to look for clues of life on the red planet.
It is believed that the latest development will delight space-watchers who have so far been disappointed by the lack of images of little green men captured by the robots.
According to Times Online, the alien figure was pictured at the far left of one of the panoramic photographs taken by the exploration rover, Spirit, from the top of a low plateau in late 2007.
The two robots have been roving around on Mars since completing their first successful mission in April 2004. They have been looking for geological evidence of water, which may suggest an environment that might once have been hospitable to life.
After being launched in June and July in 2003 from Cape Canaveral, Florida, they traveled 487 million and 456 million km respectively to opposite ends of the planet, and went on to explore the dusty, rock-strewn landscape.
Both of them are powered by the solar energy, and are a sort of mechanical equivalents of geologists walking the surface of Mars. They are equipped with cameras mounted on masts 1.5 meters (5 feet) high, which provide 360-degree, stereoscopic, human-like views of the terrain.
Their arms can make almost same movements as human arms, and can place instruments directly up against rock and soil targets of interest.
A microscopic camera installed in the mechanical “fist” of the arm serves the same purpose as a geologist’s handheld magnifying lens.
The budget for the project is around 820-million dollars. (ANI)
Image Credit : NASA/JPL-Caltech/Cornell University - Source
- Mars rover to undergo 'brain transplant' - Aug 11, 2012
- NASA to launch new mission to Mars Saturday - Nov 24, 2011
- Curiosity rover to test wheels, fire rock-shooting laser - Aug 18, 2012
- NASA completes `brain transplant' on Curiosity rover - Aug 15, 2012
- US rover to scout for Mars' habitability - Nov 27, 2011
- NASA's Mars Orbiter completes 5-yr mark - Mar 10, 2011
- Curiosity sends first 3D images from Mars - Aug 08, 2012
- Nuclear-powered US rover launched to probe Mars' habitability - Nov 26, 2011
- Mars Rover Friday abroad Atlas Rocket - Nov 21, 2011
- NASA rover lands on Mars to discover if there was life (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- NASA picks landing site for next Mars probe - Jul 23, 2011
- Mars Rover find traces of mineral gypsum - Dec 08, 2011
- Mars rover landing to be broadcast live - Aug 01, 2012
- NASA rover reaches rim of the big Martian crater ap - Aug 11, 2011
- Curiosity lands on Mars - Aug 06, 2012
Tags: alien figure, cape canaveral florida, exploration rover spirit, geological evidence, geologist, geologists, little green men, magnifying lens, masts, mechanical equivalents, nasa, nasa robot on mars, nasa scientists, panoramic photographs, plateau, red planet, robots, rovers on mars, solar energy, successful mission