NASA mission to upgrade Hubble to launch on May 11May 1st, 2009 - 12:28 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, May 1 (ANI): NASA has selected the launch date for the STS-125 mission of space shuttle Atlantis as May 11, which will upgrade the Hubble Space Telescope.
The date was announced after NASA managers did a complete review of its readiness for flight.
Commander Scott Altman and his six crewmates are scheduled to lift off at 2:01 p.m. EDT, May 11, from NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida, US.
During the review, top NASA and contractor managers assessed the risks associated with the mission and determined the shuttle’s equipment, support systems and procedures are ready for flight.
Atlantis’ 11-day mission will include five spacewalks to refurbish Hubble with state-of-the-art science instruments.
After the astronauts’ visit, the telescope’s capabilities will be expanded and its lifetime extended through at least 2014.
Commander Altman will be joined on the mission by Pilot Gregory C. Johnson and Mission Specialists Andrew Feustel, Michael Good, John Grunsfeld, Megan McArthur and Mike Massimino.
The spacewalkers are Feustel, Good, Grunsfeld and Massimino. McArthur is the flight engineer and lead for robotic arm operations. (ANI)
- NASA's Shuttle Atlantis Launches on a Final Mission to Hubble - May 12, 2009
- NASA's shuttle Atlantis launches on final Hubble servicing mission - May 12, 2009
- NASA's space shuttle Endeavour ends final mission - Jun 01, 2011
- NASA sets space shuttle Endeavour's final launch for April 29 - Apr 20, 2011
- NASA final shuttle launch scheduled for July 8 - May 21, 2011
- Atlantis scheduled for launch May 11, says NASA - May 01, 2009
- Atlantis' landing ends final mission after 30 years of space shuttle era - Jul 21, 2011
- NASA sets launch date for space shuttle Discovery mission - Feb 24 - Feb 19, 2011
- Shuttle Atlantis returns safely to end its last mission - May 26, 2010
- Astronauts install new camera on Hubble - May 15, 2009
- NASA's space shuttle Atlantis ready to launch on November 16 - Oct 30, 2009
- Shuttle Discovery heads to International Space Station on its final mission - Feb 25, 2011
- NASA sets farewell shuttle launch July 8 - Jun 29, 2011
- Spacewalking astronauts repair Hubble gyroscopes - May 16, 2009
- Astronauts install device on Hubble to study cosmic origins - May 17, 2009
Tags: art science, astronauts, c johnson, flight commander, flight engineer, hubble space telescope, kennedy space center, launch, may 1, megan mcarthur, mission specialists, nasa, nasa managers, nasa mission, robotic arm, science instruments, scott altman, space shuttle atlantis, spacewalkers, spacewalks