NASA astronauts challenge public to ‘Earth vs. space chess match’April 29th, 2011 - 3:31 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, April 29 (ANI): Two NASA astronauts, who will launch into space on Friday, are challenging the people of Earth to a chess rematch.
Greg Chamitoff and Greg H. Johnson will play the game during their 14-day space shuttle flight to the International Space Station. The U.S. Chess Federation (USCF) will facilitate the match on its website.
NASA and the USCF hosted the first Earth vs. space match in 2008 when Chamitoff lived aboard the International Space Station.
The public won that match thanks to help from chess champions atStevenson Elementary School in Bellevue, Wash.
“Chess is a great game that challenges the mind and helps young people develop critical thinking skills that will serve them well in math, science, and all aspects of their future careers,” said Chamitoff.
At the site, the public can suggest or vote on a chess move. The USCF will decide how to respond to the astronauts’ moves. NASA and USCF will use Twitter and Facebook to notify participants about the status of the game and when to vote on moves.
“We hope the excitement and interest this game generates will inspire students to become interested in chess,” said USCF Executive DirectorBill Hall.
“We hope to do better in this Earth vs. space match,” said Chamitoff.
“But, I have to admit it will be a challenge because we have an extremely busy flight ahead of us,” added Chamitoff. (ANI)
- Spacemen are challenging Earthlings to a game of Chess! - Sep 27, 2008
- NASA's space shuttle Endeavour ends final mission - Jun 01, 2011
- No spaceship, yet NASA wants more astronauts - Nov 17, 2011
- NASA's space shuttle Endeavour prepares to leave space station, return to Earth - May 29, 2011
- Weather 70 percent 'go' for space shuttle Endeavour launch - Apr 29, 2011
- NASA final shuttle launch scheduled for July 8 - May 21, 2011
- NASA calls off Endeavour launch attempt due to technical problem - Apr 30, 2011
- First private spacecraft launched to space station - May 22, 2012
- NASA presents new launch system with eye on Mars - Sep 15, 2011
- Three ISS crew to return to earth - Mar 29, 2012
- Space shuttle Discovery set to return to Earth for final time - Mar 08, 2011
- Atlantis docks for last time with International Space Station - Jul 11, 2011
- First American woman in space dies of cancer - Jul 24, 2012
- NASA delays Endeavour launch again - May 02, 2011
- Atlantis' landing ends final mission after 30 years of space shuttle era - Jul 21, 2011
Tags: april 29, chess, chess champions, chess federation, chess move, critical thinking skills, earth, excitement, great game, international space station, match, math science, nasa, nasa astronauts, participants, space shuttle flight, uscf