Narcotics have irreversible effect on the mentally illFebruary 6th, 2009 - 1:49 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb 6 (ANI): A new study has found that drugs can have an adverse impact on the brains of people suffering from mental illness.
According to Dr. Stephane Potvin of the Universite de Montreal affiliated Centre de recherche Fernand-Seguin at the Louis-H Lafontaine Hospital, nearly 33 to 50 percent of psychiatric patients also suffer from drug addiction.
The drug consumption leads to deterioration of cerebral structures.
“They become dependant more quickly and they tend to abuse drugs more easily. It is evident that drug use can worsen the symptoms of mental disease,” said Potvin.
“The odds that a mental disorder manifests itself in an individual can increase if he or she consumes drugs,” he added.
The study also showed that people suffering from mental illness, specifically schizophrenia, are more sensitive to the effects of drugs.
The findings were presented at the conference at the Louis-H Lafontaine Hospital this week. (ANI)
- Pathological gamblers 'more likely to commit suicide than non-betters' - Nov 24, 2010
- Unusual genes behind schizophrenia identified - Jul 11, 2011
- Mentally ill prone to poor teeth - Sep 02, 2011
- 'Bilingual' neurons may help uncover secrets of brain disease - Mar 19, 2011
- Drugs for neurologic, psychiatric conditions up smokers' nicotine metabolism - Sep 19, 2010
- Early signs of schizophrenia found in brains of infants - Jun 22, 2010
- Schizophrenia signs found in babies' brains - Jun 22, 2010
- Dementia, a 'silent tsunami' - Apr 11, 2012
- Now, prostate cancer can be inhibited without disturbing body processes - Aug 10, 2010
- Stress, depression double heart attack risk - Dec 05, 2011
- Mental health neglected, multinational partnerships needed: Azad - Feb 17, 2011
- 'Homoeopathy growing at 30 percent annually in India' - Sep 11, 2011
- Cold sore virus could lead to schizophrenia symptoms - May 29, 2010
- Genetic variations linked to schizophrenia, bipolar disorder - Jul 02, 2009
- China mulls new mental health law - Jun 13, 2011
Tags: adverse impact, brains, centre de recherche, deterioration, drug addiction, drug consumption, drug use, effects of drugs, fernand seguin, lafontaine, mental disorder, mental illness, narcotics, odds, potvin, psychiatric patients, schizophrenia, stephane, universite de montreal