Napoleon’s hair auctioned in New ZealandJune 29th, 2010 - 3:35 pm ICT by IANS
Auckland, June 29 (IANS) A lock of French emperor Napoleon Bonaparte’s hair was part of a collection of relics from the last year’s of his life that were auctioned in this New Zealand city.
Napoleon’s lock of hair, which is preserved in a case, fetched $19,000 while a sketch of the French leader on his death bed went for $21,000, Radio New Zealand reported Tuesday.
The memorabilia date from Napoleon’s period of exile on the island of St Helena between 1815 and 1821. These were found in a suitcase in Waikato region.
The suitcase belonged to Denzil Ibbetson, a commissary officer on St Helena during Napoleon’s exile there.
There was considerable interest from around the world, said Hamish Coney, managing director of the Art + Object auction house.
- Napoleon 'hoped to conquer Britain from St Helena' - Jun 17, 2010
- Napoleon's hair to be auctioned by Kiwi family - May 27, 2010
- Rare Napoleon letter sold for $400,000 - Jun 12, 2012
- Napoleon letter to be auctioned in Moscow - Feb 26, 2011
- France plans theme park to honour Napoleon - Jan 22, 2012
- British school gets award set up by Napoleon - Jan 01, 2012
- Napoleon may have lost the Battle of Waterloo due to piles: Book - Jan 01, 2009
- Cognac that accompanied Napoleon to be auctioned - Feb 20, 2012
- Sock made of human hair on display at Bata Museum - Apr 08, 2010
- Russell Brand to cut off his 'scruffy' hair for career sake - Nov 05, 2009
- Study of Napoleons hair debunks poisoning claims - Feb 12, 2008
- Winslet's nude sketch to go under hammer - Apr 03, 2011
- Napoleon enthusiasts re-enact Battle of Waterloo - Jun 21, 2010
- World''s oldest animal may be a phoney - Dec 29, 2008
- Sarkozy, Napoleon had distinct similarities, says French commentator - Jan 22, 2009
Tags: art object, auction house, commissary, death bed, emperor napoleon bonaparte, exile, french emperor, french leader, hamish, island of st helena, june 29, managing director, memorabilia, napoleon, new zealand auckland, new zealand city, radio new zealand, relics, sketch, suitcase