Naked British wanderer courts freedomAugust 11th, 2012 - 9:50 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 11 (IANS) A 53-year-old British man who earned the nickname “Naked Rambler” by walking unclothed, has refused to put on clothes during a court appearance, telling the judge being nude gives him “freedom”.
Appearing at Kirkcaldy Sheriff Court Friday ahead of his trial later this month, he told Sheriff Richard McFarlane that he would “absolutely not” put clothes on as he was “dressed appropriately” wearing nothing at all, the Daily Mail reported.
Stephen Gough, from Eastleigh in Hampshire, was charged with breach of the peace, with prosecutors claiming he refused to put on clothing or move away from a children’s play park in Townhill, Dunfermline last month.
Gough, who has received 17 convictions in 10 years, came to notoriety during his naked walk from Land’s End to John O’Groats in 2003 after quitting his job as a lorry driver.
The former Royal Marine entered the court naked, apart from brown walking boots and a pair of white socks, and was led to the dock where he sat down on a white bath towel.
Sheriff McFarlane said to Gough: “You appear unclothed. Is there a reason for that? Can you tell me what that might be?”
Gough replied: “Freedom.”
The sheriff told Gough that he could be charged with a contempt of court, but the naked ramber insisted “I think I am dressed appropriately”.
To which the Sheriff replied: “You’re not dressed at all.”
It is alleged that in July this year, Gough committed a breach of the peace by conducting himself in a disorderly manner and walking naked in a public place.
He was arrested and jailed on a number of occasions for walking naked, and refusing to get dressed in court.
- Basshunter denies sex assault charges - Jan 13, 2011
- Swedish Singer/DJ Basshunter Arrested on Sex Attack Charges - Dec 15, 2010
- Legal system discriminates against Christians: Bishop of Winchester - Dec 27, 2010
- Why are female squirrels promiscuous? - Dec 16, 2010
- British man jailed for biting wife's nose - Mar 25, 2012
- London rioters say it was a shopping spree (Lead) - Aug 12, 2011
- 'Nothing wrong' with UK lap dancing club's boob featuring flyer: Sheriff - Jun 02, 2010
- Botham completes 25th cancer charity walk across UK - Apr 20, 2010
- Naked rambler fined for causing distress to a dog walker - Feb 16, 2012
- Dutch firm launches save naked prince game - Sep 04, 2012
- Secrets of the Queen Mother's record collection revealed - Mar 14, 2011
- Train in sauna to battle Sri Lanka heat, Gough tells England - Mar 26, 2012
- Mel C's parenting tip - Sep 20, 2011
- Why female squirrels are promiscuous - Dec 16, 2010
- Botham sets off on 25th cancer charity walk across UK - Apr 10, 2010
Tags: bath towel, breach of the peace, british man, contempt of court, convictions, court appearance, daily mail, eastleigh, john o groats, kirkcaldy sheriff court, lorry driver, naked rambler, notoriety, prosecutors, ramber, stephen gough, unclothed, walking boots, wanderer, white socks