Nadal hopes to stop Federer from getting his sixth Wimbledon titleJuly 5th, 2008 - 3:09 pm ICT by ANI
London, July 5 (ANI): Spains Rafael Nadal reckons that Swiss Roger Federer is the greatest player of all time, but has simultaneously warned his Wimbledon rival that he will have to wait a little longer to make history.
The Majorca mauler seeking to project himself as the underdog ahead of Sundays final against Federer, was quoted by The Sun as saying: For me, Roger is the best in history because he already has six Wimbledon titles.
But then he quickly corrected his mistake and said: No, no, only five! Hopefully, not six this year.
Yet he reckons it is only a matter of time before Federer surpasses Pete Sampras record of seven Wimbledon titles and admits he has no idea what is needed to beat the World No 1 on grass.
He said: All I can do is try my best against him, like I did in the last two finals here. Later, if he plays better than me and beats me, Ill just congratulate him like every year!
To win at Wimbledon will be one of the greatest victories of my career. But even if I have that title, Im still going to be No 2 in the rankings on Monday.
Nadal, who won his first grass title at last months Artois Championships at Queens, has beaten Federer in 11 of their previous 17 meetings.
I dont have to prove I can play on grass to anyone because this will be my third final in a row here at Wimbledon. I know I have to play very, very well to beat him because the best player in the world will be on the other side of the net. He is playing very well. But so am I and he knows that, said Nadal. (ANI)
- Nadal calls the Australian Open final as his toughest match - Jan 30, 2012
- Nadal, Djokovic eyeing history in French Open final (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Federer demolishes Nadal to go into ATP Finals last four - Nov 23, 2011
- Federer, Tsonga chase history in ATP World Tour Finals - Nov 27, 2011
- Nadal beats Murray, to meet Djokovic in Wimbledon final (Lead) - Jul 02, 2011
- Djokovic: Taking on Nadal in French Open final is ultimate challenge - Jun 09, 2012
- Nadal sweeps to second Wimbledon trophy with dream victory (Night Lead) - Jul 05, 2010
- 'Loner' Federer credits coach for re-igniting his flagging career - Dec 22, 2010
- 'King of Clay' Nadal nearing legend status: McEnroe - Jul 03, 2010
- I dare to dream: Djokovic - Feb 07, 2012
- Djokovic beats Nadal to win maiden Wimbledon title (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Djokovic shatters dream final with knockout of Federer - Sep 12, 2010
- Djokovic reaches Wimbledon final, claims No.1 ranking - Jul 02, 2011
- Djokovic overcomes Nadal to win US Open - Sep 13, 2011
- Federer clinches 70th career title at ATP Finals - Nov 28, 2011
Tags: artois championships, best player, first grass, london, matter of time, mauler, mistake, pete sampras, rafael nadal, roger federer, sun, swiss, underdog, wimbledon, wimbledon title, wimbledon titles