Muslim driver dumps passengers for carrying wine bottleApril 14th, 2012 - 10:51 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 14 (IANS) A Muslim taxi driver in Britain has been fired after he threw out a family carrying an unopened bottle of wine saying “it’s against my religion”.
Adrian Cartwright, 46, had hired the taxi to take his family out for dinner at an Indian restaurant near Oldham, Greater Manchester.
But before they could make the five-minute journey, the driver, in his 20s, spotted the bottle of white wine and promptly refused to take them, the Daily Mail reported Saturday. The family was turfed out onto the pavement and he drove off.
On his Facebook page, a furious Cartwright wrote: “The meal I had that evening was a Halal meal, whose methods I don’t agree with, but tolerate out of respect.
“I expect anyone offering a public service to do the same, and will be contacting the licensing department to suggest that the driver is politely asked to do so, or hand his badge back.”
He also complained to the driver’s employer Borough Taxis, who have around 70 Muslim drivers, and within half an hour he was sacked.
- When 50 taxi drivers in China helped an ailing colleague - Sep 08, 2012
- Parents' outrage over halal-only school dinners in Britain - Aug 06, 2010
- We won't eat halal meat: British MPs - Jan 01, 2012
- Nine die as bus driver goes berserk in busy Pune (Roundup) - Jan 25, 2012
- Kiwi man meets woman who found his message in bottle thrown 12yrs ago - Jan 30, 2011
- Why a grieving Indira Gandhi joined Shastri's cabinet - Aug 23, 2012
- Bangkok's Iranian bomber loses legs, four others injured (Second Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- Outrage over Melbourne school opting for halal sausages in welcome-back barbecue - Mar 06, 2010
- 'Sub-continental' cabbie accused of attacking, robbing 81-year-old woman in Melbourne - Aug 15, 2010
- Brit-Indian Sikh shopkeeper was battered to death with wine bottle, court told - Sep 03, 2010
- Kazakh beer thief returns unfinished bottles - Aug 21, 2012
- Cab drivers protest against use of Olympic lanes - Jul 24, 2012
- Norway attacker's remote Varanasi connection - Jul 26, 2011
- People find Italian 'Hitler' wine bottles offensive - Aug 09, 2012
- Nearly three-quarters of halal poultry falsely labeled in UK - Mar 13, 2010
Tags: april 14, bottle of wine, cartwright, daily mail, greater manchester, halal meal, half an hour, licensing department, london, minute journey, muslim, pavement, religion, taxi driver, taxis, unopened bottle, white wine, wine bottle