Music really can ease painSeptember 9th, 2010 - 5:14 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sept 9 (ANI): Music sure can uplift your spirits, but a new study has revealed that patients suffering from pain or depression can be prescribed specific kinds of music to help alleviate their symptoms.
“The impact of a piece of music on a person goes so much further than thinking that a fast tempo can lift a mood and a slow one can bring it down,” The Telegraph quoted Dr Don Knox, an audio engineer as saying.
“Music expresses emotion as a result of many factors. These include the tone, structure and other technical characteristics of a piece. Lyrics can have a big impact too,” he added.
Knox’s team will not only analyse the lyrics, rhythm and pitch in different compositions but also other factors like where or when you first heard it, whether you associate it with happy or sad events and so on.
They hope to develop a mathematical model that explains music’s ability to communicate different emotions, and develop a computer program that could identify the best music to help patients.
Some songs a doctor might prescribe include ‘Comfortably Numb’ by Pink Floyd, ‘What a Wonderful World’ by Louis Armstrong and ‘I Will Survive’ by Gloria Gaynor. (ANI)
- Classical music stirs vegetative patients' souls just as healthy people - Jul 03, 2010
- The sound of music - a healing therapy - Jun 22, 2011
- A song and a story: Changing music of modern India (June 21 is World Music Day) - Jun 18, 2011
- What makes some musical tunes cheerful and some sad? - Jan 12, 2010
- Think Floyd, the homegrown Pink Floyd tribute ensemble - May 23, 2010
- Music therapy benefits stroke patients - Jul 06, 2010
- Music de-stresses, evokes positive emotions - Mar 06, 2012
- Michael Blake gives mathematical constant Pi a musical note - Mar 14, 2011
- Pink Floyd to unite for London Olympics? - Jan 04, 2012
- Music can helps stroke victims walk - Jul 06, 2010
- 25 new inductees into Grammy Hall of Fame - Nov 22, 2011
- Why do some musical performances move us? - Dec 19, 2010
- Pink Floyd Anthem Rewritten - Aug 07, 2010
- Now, mood player to sort music and photos according to your mood - Mar 18, 2009
- Pink Floyd duo reunite for charity show - Jul 13, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,